Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mouse is affecting arthritis and nerves in my hand

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 carmella7

carmella7

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hello everyone.

Just joined. I hope I am in the right forum area.  My question concerns mice.  I was previously using an old kds mouse that worked well.  It probably did aggravate the carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand, but was bearable. It fell and broke, and I bought a new modern wireless one by 'logitech'. It was smaller and humped at the top somewhat, a sleek looking red and black affair.  Within the first three days of using this thing I have developed pain on the OUTER aspect of my right hand just below the round jutting out wrist bone. My right hand is now unusable for certain tasks.  With the old mouse, the problems were in the inner aspect of the wrist and thumb. If I don't do something I won't be able to use my right hand at all, and I am right handed.  I do a lot on the computer daily, and have work to do now, so am trying to figure out what kind of mouse to get when I shop tomorrow.  I am hoping someone more knowledgeable than I can suggest a mouse that has been found to be more ergonomically correct, or some type of mouse substitute?  Perhaps I should mention that I have unusually small hands.

Thanks,

Carmella

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

You could go with a more ergonomically shaped mouse or if the disability is severe enough resort to a trackball type of device.

Examples of track ball input devices:

Adesso_Trackball.jpg and Kensington-SlimBlade-Trackball_1.jpg

Ergonomic style mouse:

19678.png

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 carmella7

carmella7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

Great info, Site Admin.

The new mouse is shorter and more humped up on top than the old one.  I have extensive arthritis and carpal tunnel, it is currently not chronically painful for the most part and I am trying to avoid chronic pain.  Have you any recommendations regarding the above choices?  And are those above widely available?

Thanks alot,

Carmella

#4 carmella7

carmella7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

In researching this on the web today I notice that my problems are all too common.  What would be great would be if a physician or physical therapist type person would get some expertise in this area and share it with the rest of us.

Carmella

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

Both are widely available. In fact the bottom mouse is the one I am currently using and is the best mouse I've used to date.

Mouse here: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/performance-mouse-mx

Do not buy it from them. Google the item and you can find it for less.

Top Track Ball here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826152029

Bottom Track Ball here: http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Slimblade-Trackball-USB-K72327US/dp/B001MTE32Y

The links are only examples of what the items are, not intended for reference for purchasing.

Hope you're able to find a device that aids in relieving your discomfort. I went into a Staples store and 'test drove' the mouse before I bought it online. Maybe you could find a brick and mortar store to 'test drive' options for yourself as well.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 carmella7

carmella7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

:clapping:  Gratitude for all this info, Animal.  I tried to print everything out, but couldn't.  Now is printing of replies not allowed due to copyright infringement stuff or something similar?  I just want to remember what the suggested mice look like and also the links.  Will be going to stores like Staples tomorrow and want to take pictures with me.  How about copy and paste?

Carmella

Edited by carmella7, 07 August 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#7 carmella7

carmella7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Animal, Please disregard my last post about not being able to print replies.  I just did with no problems.  Don't know what happened with first try a while back.  Funny thing, while trying to print back then, I noticed a small rectangular blinking green box in the top middle section of the page!  Thinking it could have been some spy activity, I immediately disconnected.  Any idea what that was?Oh, I am seeing it now.  It has three white squares which blink on and off in it.

Carmella

Edited by carmella7, 07 August 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

The blinking green box you're seeing is the the forum software activity. Nothing nefarious going on. Glad I could be of some assistance for you.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

I'd suggest also trying the mouse out in the store before purchasing.  People's hands are shaped differently.

You might also consider training your left hand to do the mouse work.  That's what I do.  I had developed severe shoulder and arm pain some years back and couldn't use the mouse with the right hand.

I also angle the mouse differently.  Instead of straight up and down, with the index finger on one button and the ring finger on the other, I angle it so that the mouse nestles in the natural curve of my palm.  I operate one button with the side of my thumb, and the other button with my index finger.

You can also look into key stroke substitutes for a lot of the mouse work.

Good luck on finding a comfy mouse.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

I have been using a Microsoft Trackball for years, and would never go back to a standard mouse.

#11 carmella7

carmella7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

Well, thanks to Animal, Orange Blossom, and GB. I went to Staples but they didn't have anything, but a salesperson familiar with these problems ordered a trackball from their online store for me, so hopefully that will work.  Till then I am using an old hp mouse I bought at kmart for $10 and trying to vary my hand and fingers like Orange blossom suggested.  As it is a long mouse, it is hard to vary the fingers on my small hands.  I have forgotten the keyboard strokes, will try to find something on the internet about that.

carmella

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

Are there computer stores in your area?  If so, you could try out different mice there.  I suspect there would be a wider selection available in a store that focuses solely on computers.  Another option might be to check out Radio Shack which has some computer stuff also.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 carmella7

carmella7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Thanks, Orange Blossom.  Hopefully the trackball on  order will be ok, if not I will try radio shack, had not thought of them. Like the concept of not telling gender, but "Blossom"?!  lol, just kidding around.

Carmella

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

Carmella - You don't need to go on the internet to find out about keystrokes !  Virtually every piece of software on your computer lists them - honest !

If you look at the top of your browser - where it says 'File', 'Edit' etc., you will see that the 'F' and the 'E' are underlined. this means that if you press the 'Alt' key and the letter 'F', you will open the file menu, 'Alt' plus the letter 'E' opens the edit menu and so on.

If you open the 'File' menu, you will see, for example, Open file - 'Ctrl'+'O'; Save - 'Ctrl'+'S'. these are the keystrokes for that application. Most of them are standardised, the same strokes do the same jobs in virtually every application, and you will find them in virtually every application except the most trivial ones.

Chris Cosgrove

#15 carmella7

carmella7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

You know, Chris, I have seen some of these but been oblivious to them in the same way one is oblivious to their wallpaper, or other things they see daily. I will search out more of them. Thanks for giving me more ways to save my hands and fingers from strain.

Carmella

Edited by carmella7, 11 August 2013 - 07:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users