Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need info and advice Windows Server

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 samlf3rd

samlf3rd

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

Hello BC,

I have a couple of nube questions about Windows Server 2012. I want to utilize features of the server we just got, but not sure how to. I have FTP up and running, but I could've accomplished an FTP server with an old laptop...

Q#1: I would like to be able to login to my server (from explorer or the Internet) and see a server login screen, from there I want to see just programs, file, and features I setup for that user. 

Q#2: Can I print on my printer in my network through a VPN with a Print Server? Also do I have to simply install my printer driver and the print server will recognize the printer? Should I uninstall the print server and reinstall after I have my printer installed?

I already have my server setup and running, FTP, IIS, and Print Server up (but not setup).

Thank you in advance,

Sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:03 AM

You want to install the Remote Desktop Services role. If users are on the local network they simply use Remote desktop to log into "their server" each user have their own settings. Users outside the network can connect with VPN and Remote Desktop. To simply access the server files you wont see the "logon screen" you will need to provide the correct user name and password to access the files depending on your network security permissions. See Microsoft TechNet for and overview http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831447.aspx edit: using remote desktop services the users local printer is automatically installed when they log into a session.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 August 2013 - 03:04 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users