Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows8 came with my spiffy new laptop and...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 purplegeezer

purplegeezer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

...I have never run into so many problems that I have never had before.

I am a 64 year old retiree and avid WoW player,and am one of the oldest female gamers around,I think.I love computers and am self-taught over the past 17 years.Everything was going smoothly in my computer-world,until Win8 arrived.

1. After Win8, MIE is at the top of my hate list.I cannot get rid of it.I understand Microsoft thinks we all think it's a gem,but I hate it now and have always hated it. I tried to get rid of it,but no matter wht I do,it takes over my computer.It's so intrusive!!

2. I have pop-up blockers running 24/7 and made sure of which pop-ups I will allow,but I cannot surf smoothly because of other blasted pop-ups.I also have anti-malware,and anti-spybot programs running.Also mywot.com.I have my firewall set up to allow certain websites,so that is not a problem.

3.what is an FLV player and do I need it? Somebody thinks so because I cannot get rid of the #$%^&** announcements that I have to upgrade. I use different media players and I am completely satisfied with thm. I don't want the FLV thing.

4. I thankfully downloaded the WinStart program,so I don't have to deal with a mess of garbage on my screen.

5. And should I dl Win8.1? Will it help clear up the mess???

6. I may be in the minority here,but I loved Vista and still have it on my 3 year-old desktop and I have never encountered any problems whatsoever. XP was my favorite,however.

I feel like I am drowning in garbage.

Thank you to all who reply.

Annie :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eddieshoe

Eddieshoe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

You can modify W8 to perform and navigate like XP or Vista with a neat little program called Classic Shell. You can turn it on and off at will, in other words, alternate with W8 metro screen. It's safe.

Eddieshoe

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hi, For reference:

Windows 8 no longer includes the traditional Start Menu that Windows users have become associated with using. Instead they replaced it with a new interface called the Windows Start Screen that many people find to be not as intuitive as the traditional Start Menu. This is especially the case if you are not using a touch screen. With this in mind, a free program called Classic Shell has been updated to support the ability to add a Start Menu to Windows 8.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

This is what I use with Windows 8 and since you use Vista You will have no problem using windows 8 with this installed.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. when You say MIE are you referring to Microsoft Internet Explorer? With the regular windows desktop now available via "Classic Shell" Nothing is trying to take over my computer. Don't want FLV player? Uninstall it.

Edited by rotor123, 07 August 2013 - 10:43 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

2. I have pop-up blockers running 24/7 and made sure of which pop-ups I will allow,but I cannot surf smoothly because of other blasted pop-ups.I also have anti-malware,and anti-spybot programs running.Also mywot.com.I have my firewall set up to allow certain websites,so that is not a problem.

Pop-ups? Can you get a screenshot of them for me so I can see what they look like? Also, what security programs are you running?

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#5 purplegeezer

purplegeezer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

Thank you to all who gave their input.

Here is my info:I am running Norton 360. Firewall is configured to what I will allow.

I dl'd the Win8Start app on cnet.com. I like it.

The pop-ups I get,repeatedly, are for updates that I "need." I know a phishing pop-up when I see it.

I do not have theFLV player installed on my computer.Never have and yet,I still,today,am getting the pop-up that I "need" to install it.When I close the pop up window,I return to the page I was after. Sometimes, with each click on a link,whether it be a news link,or a weather link,etc., I get the FLV annoyance.

I run updates daily,using Norton,HP and Windows programs.

I have set Firefox as my default browser,but despite that fact,I keep being sent to MIE webpages.I do not want Microsoft Internet Explorer on my laptop.

When I first got this laptop, everything was a mess as far as surfing was concerned. I used MIE at first,but the pop-ups were fast and furious and seriously ruining my time on the 'net. So I use Firefox now,which has always been my favorite.Most of the pop-ups now are about the FLV player,and others telling me my coputer is running slow,and I need to update my browser. I don't.Everything is up to date.

I will look for the "shell" program,and thank you for the heads-up.

One final question:Can I completely eliminate MIE from my laptop?

Thank you all for your help.I appreciate it very much!!!

Annie

PS.Just now,as I clicked on "edit" to correct a spelling error in my post,once again I got the FLV pop-up. Grrrrr.

Edited by purplegeezer, 08 August 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#6 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

I have set Firefox as my default browser,but despite that fact,I keep being sent to MIE webpages.I do not want Microsoft Internet Explorer on my laptop.

When I first got this laptop, everything was a mess as far as surfing was concerned. I used MIE at first,but the pop-ups were fast and furious and seriously ruining my time on the 'net. So I use Firefox now,which has always been my favorite.Most of the pop-ups now are about the FLV player,and others telling me my coputer is running slow,and I need to update my browser. I don't.Everything is up to date.

I believe you may be infected by your description. I suggest you post a topic in AII (Am I Infected? - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/) to remove these pop-up; any pop-ups, especially at the rate you seemed to be getting them in IE are a sign of infection. Of course this is up to you, but we may be successful at pop-ups.

You can't complete get rid of IE since it is built into windows, but you can disable it. See here: http://www.howtogeek.com/117166/how-to-uninstall-internet-explorer-10-in-windows-8/ - the uninstall bit is misleading, IE has not been uninstalled just disabled, (but the instructions are pretty good though).

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 09 August 2013 - 06:01 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users