Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time for a new Mobo? -- Enabling Network Connection Shuts Down Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hifitubes

Hifitubes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

After much searching I discovered on my old home-built system that the the Intel 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection on my Intel motherboard (DG965RY) has bit the dust.  I tried updating the driver but it still behaves the same in my Windows XP sp3 system (8 G of RAM).   As soon as I enable the driver for that connection, the computer shuts down completely regardless of using the old or new driver.  Several different drivers produce the same result so it seems to me it is likely a hardware issue with that connection.

So my question is -- is this motherboard essential worthless?  Am I missing something else to try?  Is there anyway something like this can be repaired?   I do recognize that I could get a wireless or even a wired network board and use that in a slot or maybe a wireless USB and go with that but am wondering if that is only putting more money onto a motherboard that is over the hill anyway.   Thoughts anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

It is your preference to either change or switch to another LAN card if you still would need the desktop. In my unrelated case, there is a $50 Pentium 4 deal offer from a known friend complete with AGP card, 1 gig of RAM and IDE hard drive with 2 SATA slots available I can't refuse. :grinner: What more for just a network card replacement...

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users