Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old laptop running windows 98 wiped for xp replacement, black screen now.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 m444rk

m444rk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

Hello there,

I've got an old Compaq Armada E500 laptop which im meant to be upgrading for a friend. Im usually quite good with computers so I went ahead and used my Hirens boot cd to wipe the hard drive clean with DBAN, upon completing this, i used the hirens cd again to format the harddrive to fat32. Now when i put my xp install cd in the drive and boot up I just get a blank black screen with a flashing white underscore in the top left corner, I can't do anything.

How on earth am I meant to load xp on here when it isn't loading the cd?

I've accessed the bios using f10 and changed the boot order to CD, it will load the hirens disc, but when I insert the XP disc it will say something about a pxe - media error check cable and will proceed through to this blank screen....

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

Hi,

That sounds as if the XP disk is not bootable.

You have verified by booting off of a different CD that the drive is working.

The PXE error is what you see when the network card is in the boot device list and none of the items in the list above it are bootable.

BTW Hirens is not allowed to be recommended here due to the inclusion of Microsoft files.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

It's failing to see the CD as bootable and then trying to boot from the network.

If you have an ISO image of the CD, try burning it again.

Always make an ISO copy of your important CDs with ImgBurn. CDs deteriorate, get scratches, etc. An ISO file on the other hand is not subject to those kinds of problems.

EDIT: Looks like me and rotor123 were posting at the same time. :)

Edited by .X., 06 August 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#4 m444rk

m444rk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

thanks for the quick responses, i'm just reading up about it - some people are suggesting something about a sata drive not being compatible with windows xp? is this my problem? im starting to wonder whether i should just give this up and reinstall windows 98....

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hi .X.

Looks like I was just a tad faster for once :)

Actually We approached it from a different angle too.

Cheers

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

If it has a SATA drive see if there is a setting in the BIOS for IDE mode. It may be called something else like compatibility mode. It can also happen if the drive is set to Raid mode.

You'll lose a slight bit of performance but XP will find the hard drive and install that way or else You'll need a floppy drive and disk. Then download the Hard drive controller SATA drivers for use with F6. Then when it says hit F6 to load drivers during the install.

This Microsoft page can give you a better idea of why this is happening.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314859

During the text-mode phase of the setup process, Windows pauses briefly and prompts you to press F6. This option is displayed in the status line and lets you use an OEM mass storage controller driver. The F6 option is provided strictly as a means to install OEM drivers for mass storage controllers only. This is required to let the installation of the operating system continue. Microsoft does not support using F6 to install any device driver other than mass storage controller drivers.

A little more info here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/installxpnew1_3.htm

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 06 August 2013 - 03:58 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

thanks for the quick responses, i'm just reading up about it - some people are suggesting something about a sata drive not being compatible with windows xp? is this my problem? im starting to wonder whether i should just give this up and reinstall windows 98....

Nah. A Win 98 PC wont have SATA controllers. It's the disk.

EDIT: hehe we did it again. I'll leave it in your hands. :)

Edited by .X., 06 August 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

I suspect You are right that it is the Disk. I missed the Win98 and targeted in on where he mentioned SATA.

In this case I believe You and I are complementing each others advice.

Thank You

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 m444rk

m444rk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:16 AM

thank you both for your responses, it was as simple as an xp disk which wouldnt boot. I retried it using another one and it worked... d'oh!

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

I'm glad your problem is resolved.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users