Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What features should I consider in a new monitor? Anything new?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

This will be my first flat screen monitor. Here is my situation:

Will be used with a not very often used Windows 8 (yuck) desktop.

Besides occasional internet usage the monitor would be used for older games (Call of Duty 1 and 2, Medal of Honor, Far Cry 1 and 2, nothing much newer).

The space available for the monitor is not large, it will sit on an old desk which backs to a.wall.

Interested in having a monitor which might be used as a tv (using HD satellite provider) as well. (I forget what that feature is called)

Don't want to spend over $200, hopefully less than $150.

I now use a 15" CRT. A larger screen will be nice, but I don't need anything huge. But I don't want to later regret buying one too small. I don't expect to buy another monitor in the forseeable future.

I just don't want to miss out on some new or beneficial feature that I might be able to get if I spend a few dollars more.

Thanks

Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

for casual gaming and primarily internet use, I would say look for size more than anything.

But if you want one that has speakers and will take other inputs from say a cable box or something I would go for this one. (super cheap with great specs and a great size)

The main things that you want to look for are resolution (1920 X 1080 for anything 20/22" and up), contrast ratio (look for the "active" or the smaller number in (), you want that higher not the overall, I try to find ones that are 1000:1 or more active)) and response time (for internet use and casual gaming  you'll be fine with 10/12ms maybe 14ms or less).

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Hi, consider adding this to Windows 8

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

Windows 8 no longer includes the traditional Start Menu that Windows users have become associated with using. Instead they replaced it with a new interface called the Windows Start Screen that many people find to be not as intuitive as the traditional Start Menu. This is especially the case if you are not using a touch screen. With this in mind, a free program called Classic Shell has been updated to support the ability to add a Start Menu to Windows 8.

Once you have done that the computer will start up with a regular Windows Desktop and start button and basically operate like it has Windows 7 instead. Upper or lower corners on the right hand side will give access to the Windows 8 stuff. I use it myself.

I bought a 24inch TV that had HDMI and VGA and Component. It hooks up to my Satellite TV DVR via HDMI and the computer via VGA. Of I could hook it up to OTA if I still had an antenna.

As Greengiant117 said that sounds like what You need.

I paid around $170 New, Not refurbished as I remember earlier this year. I bought new. Some of the differences in brands and prices will be how good the sound is.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the tips. Yeah. I forgot to mention I wanted built-in speakers. I've got a few days to decide.

I'm not sure about buying a refurb, although I'm not against doing it.

#5 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

I have bought refurbed in the past, most of the time it just means that someone returned it.

Though I didn't think to mention getting a small TV, thats an option as well like rotor mentioned

#6 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Rotor.

Yeah. The first thing I did was added a Start Menu add-on. I still don't care for 8 but I had to choose one for the desktop I was building. In retrospect, I probably should have bought 7 instead of 8.

The first time I started it up it took me about ten minutes to figure out how to turn it off! Bad beginning

Wouldn't  you need a TV tuner to watch OTA TV?.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

The 24" TV I bought has a tuner. That was one reason I bought it. Plenty of input options.

3 HDMI

1 component

1 composite

1 Coax for the tuner

1 VGA for use with the computer.

It even has a DVD player

And LED for lower power usage.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. once I added the start menu / Button and put the icons I wanted on the desktop it was pretty like Windows 7. I use it since the screen is better and it is a better computer than the Win7 laptop I was using.

I didn't like the Win8 interface but this way it is the same for me as Win7, or close enough. I installed Malwarebytes Pro and my Antivirus and away I go.

Edited by rotor123, 06 August 2013 - 05:20 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-236-335&Tpk=N82E16824236335&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=404255&SID=321545_desktop

24" IPS,5ms, speakers.......and it is $170 today.  That is a deal.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

dpunisher.

Thanks.

Actually, those both look like good choices. The Asus lacks the TV and the Samsung seems to have some mixed reviews on Amazon. (What happened to all the newegg reviews?)

Edited by brian2009, 06 August 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#10 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought a monitor.

I suppose I could have done more research, but the Asus dpunisher mentioned looked like a pretty good deal.

I only wish there would have been even a single review of it on newegg, which usually has great feedback. I looked at a number of similar model Asus reviews and they seemed to always be pretty positive, so I figured this one would be as well.

Not really sure if the IPS was needed but it looked like the "new thing" I might have wanted.

TV would have been nice. Can a DTV converter box be attached to receive OTA TV if the monitor lacks a TV tuner?

#11 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

It looks like I found one of "the latest things" in monitors by accident.

My Asus included a strange looking cable..HDMI on one end and a very small plug on the other (MHL, I found out).

It seems that MHL is a fairly new technology for connecting mobile devices to TV's and Monitors. I'd never heard of it before.

Mobile High-Definition Link is what it's called.

http://www.meetmhl.com/WhatIsMHL.aspx

I probably have no current need for it because I don't have a smart phone, but I thought It might be of interest to others reading this thread for info later on.

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

TV would have been nice. Can a DTV converter box be attached to receive OTA TV if the monitor lacks a TV tuner?

You mentioned you are using satellite for your TV. If your satellite box has an HDMI port or even a DVI port in combination with audio out ports, then you should be able to connect it to one of the Asus' monitor's HDMI ports and watch TV.

If you want OTA TV signals on the monitor, then you might be able to do it with some sort of external converter/tuner box. A DVD/VCR recorder that has a DTV tuner and an HDMI output would work. The other option is a DTV tuner card/adapter for the computer and you essentially use the computer to watch OTA TV (you will also more than likely be able to use the computer to record shows like a DVR).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users