Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Take A Look

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 loralynne

loralynne

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:31 AM

Hi,
I wondered if anyone here saw anything in this log
that I should delete?
I have had great success cleaning out my computer this week,
(thanks to this forum), but I still can't get rid of msg's like;
"regsaver.com" or "rclean.com" or "regfixes.com"
they tell me to download and run their program to fix
the regestry, witch I have not done, I would like to just get
this program out of my computer, but I can't figure out where it came
from....
Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!
~Thanks, Lori..

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:22:25 AM, on 4/21/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/english/kavwebscan_unicode.cab

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:53 PM

Hey loralynne

* The Windows "Messenger Service" is being exploited to spray the Internet with unsolicited commercial eMail. The receipt of a single UDP packet can cause a "Messenger Service" dialog to pop-up on the user's screen. It is possible for the sender to "spoof" (falsify) the packet's "Source IP", making these packets impossible to trace back to their origin................
Windows Messenger Service

The first thing to understand is that the Windows Messenger Service is completely different from, and not in any way related to, "MSN Messenger", "Windows Messenger", or any other well-known instant messaging system. Therefore, disabling the Windows Messenger service will have no effect upon your use of any other instant messaging applications. They will continue to work without trouble.

To block the spam is to turn off Messenger Service.

Click Start>>Settings>>Control Panel

--Double click Administrative Tools
--Double click Services
--Double click Messenger
--Under Service Status, click Stop
--In the box next to Startup Type, select Disabled
--Click Apply>>OK

Alternatively, you can download a small program that will disable Messenger Service for you Called Shoot The Messenger. It's available at: http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

* You are missing one important program on that computer: An antivirus.
This is somewhat suicidal in today's digital world.
You need to install an antivirus program as soon as you can and run a complete scan of the computer.
AVG, Avira OR Avast are good FREE antivirus.
Never install more than one antivirusscanner or firewall on your system! Several together can give problems and decrease the reliability of it seriously!
Zonealarm, Agnitum Outpost Free OR Kerio are FREE firewalls.

Understanding and using firewalls

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users