Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not Boot. Help.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Edthebig

Edthebig

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

My computer wont boot up, and does 3 beeps 2 shorts and 1 long. This means a GPU failure in an HP motherboard (I didnt know how to build my own PC when I bought this one). Ive tried cleaning everything. The odd thing now is few days ago my computer would detect the GPU and boot up normally. If I leave the computer unused for 2-3 days it might boot up once. I have replaced the CMOS battery also. I cant think of any thing/factor that could be affected by time. (I'm refferring to the it might boot if I leave it some days unused)

Ive also removed RAM. The GPU fans Spin, the monitor is working fine, the PSU is good. The BIOS is updated too. The GPU is a 460GTX and it has been working fine for over 2 years now. I have 6GB of RAM.

Please Help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

Hi,

Have you checked for a heat problem? When you cleaned everything did you make sure to reseat everything correctly? I know, very basic questions but, this seems like a very basic problem. I'm assuming that the motherboard is bolted into the case so that there is a good ground connection where there should be and none where there shouldn't be.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

Given that you say the beeps you get indicate a GPU problem, two possibilities come to mind, also basic ones as Dicke suggests.

Your graphics card may not be properly mounted. Disconnect it and remove it from the computer, then replace it and its connections. It is just possible that you moved it while checking your RAM.

The other thing to check is, while you have the card removed for the above process, plug your monitor into the on-board graphics port and see if the computer will boot.

If the computer boots using the on-board graphics, and then gives you trouble when you replace the card, this would suggest that your card is faulty.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users