Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going from a 85% to a 90% effecient PSU worth it?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 videobruce

videobruce

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

How much actual wattage drop with a given PC going from a 85% efficient PS to a 90% efficient rated around 600w? IOW's when measuring the AC current at the wall, using a 600w supply as the example, how much less wattage could I expect? 5, 10, 15 watts?

Is the extra $$ worth it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

FWIW and Corsair Blog Comments

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#3 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for the links. I love how these comparisons emphasize electricity cost vs energy saving. I will take a closer loon at the HardOCP article.

To clarify, my current PS is probably less than 80% (it was before these standards came out in 2007)

Edited by videobruce, 07 August 2013 - 06:35 AM.

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

I personally have an 80 plus Gold rated supply, but the only reason I went with it was because it was a brand that I trusted and it was not much more expensive than the others that I was looking at (1000W I got for $140 on sale vs a another that wasn't rated for Gold that was like $120, so I figured why not)

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hi, I went to a different angle of attack on power usage.

I Have a nice I7 desktop that I was using for everything. I now use it only for working with Video, That is Capture, encoding, Authoring and Burning of BluRay disks.

For everything else I am now using a Lenovo All-In-One Desktop computer. It is only a little bigger than than a 22" monitor would be. I use this for Internet and everything other than working with Video. I got this one for two main reasons. There is a Lenovo Authorized Service Provider approximately 10 to 12 miles away if I ever need warranty work. Other work after the warranty expires I can download the Service manual and do myself. It was Intel based, Not AMD (personal choice). It gives off very little heat. Once I installed "Classic Shell" for windows 8, Malwarebytes Pro and a decent Antivirus It was good to go.

The best part is a decent screen size, And it's power supply (External) is only rated at 120 watts so I'm pretty sure it is using less.

My other choice was to keep using my Laptop, The 22" display vs the Toshiba's 15" won out. The laptop would have used 1/2 the power this uses but screen size won out. Plus the laptop speakers were not cutting on YouTube.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

To be honest...I pay no attention to the efficiency ratings.  I focus on prior experience with a given brand,  cost, and what I feel my system needs (550j-600 watts, at best) and I have no complaints about my selections.

Louis

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

PSU efficiency is at best a rough guess for construction quality, but in the real world, it's essentially insignificant when dealing with top end units. Generally, costs for 80% efficient PSUs and 90% efficient PSUs tend to rise dramatically with no major significant savings in electricity cost for most users. 

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users