Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Selecting text on Android Jellybean 4.1.1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ScreamingBanshee

ScreamingBanshee

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Well, I've just about given up, trying to edit text with those little blue markers. Like trying to line up worms in a shoe box with a pair of chopsticks through a hole in the lid.

Anyone have any tips? I've been through all the settings to see if there are any changes possible to the Android keyboard to no avail. Just a set of direction keys would be nice!

(Using Versus Tab-8 Tablet with Android 4.1.1)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScreamingBanshee

ScreamingBanshee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

I`d remembered I had a miniature keyboard which turns out to be perfect for the tablet and the direction keys work perfectly for editing. So now just wondering what else can be achieved with the on screen keypad?

#3 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:30 AM

It's possible. A ROM I've tried called RootBox has options to change the default keyboard assignments. Such as forcing the enter button rather than the emotion button. It also has an option to enable the volume key to control the cursor left of right. If you still want to change the settings yourself ask or poke around here; http://forum.xda-developers.com

Another option is to use an APK/app to add or replace the keyboard your using now. I've used "Hacker's Keyboard" in the past and found it handy as well as stable. Here is a pic of the extra keys layout. (Wouldn't let me apply the image link?)

https://lh4.ggpht.com/hQdrcbv6ZxivR649cuXqQKI95U_yJU-ZLPIEPTCrFVeivzVneLKq3sAZ1I6MIbpVUSY=h310

Description:
Are you missing the key layout you're used to from your computer? This keyboard has separate number keys, punctuation in the usual places, and arrow keys. It is based on the AOSP Gingerbread soft keyboard, so it supports multitouch for the modifier keys.

This keyboard is especially useful if you use ConnectBot for SSH access. It provides working Tab/Ctrl/Esc keys, and the arrow keys are essential for devices such as the Xoom tablet or Nexus S that don't have a trackball or D-Pad.

App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard
Screenshot: https://lh4.ggpht.com/hQdrcbv6ZxivR649cuXqQKI95U_yJU-ZLPIEPTCrFVeivzVneLKq3sAZ1I6MIbpVUSY=h310

Hope this helps,

Zen

#4 ScreamingBanshee

ScreamingBanshee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:38 AM

Thank you, Zen. I'll check it out. My only reservation is whether it will be stable, as in the past I've had a lot of problems after introducing UI hacks on my desktop PC. You've stated that it is. I'll double check this online and see if anyone has any issues.

Thanks again. That's really good news.

Edited by ScreamingBanshee, 11 August 2013 - 12:41 AM.

#5 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

The "Hacker's Keyboard" app was great when I was testing a tablet and setting it up for a friend who buggered it up. The arrows are a life saver when using a root shell. The ROM I use now on my phone has an okay keyboard included so I haven't used "HK" in a while but just read the replies to see if they have any bugs in the latest release.

Regards,

Zen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users