Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dbellas

dbellas

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

I want to move my User folder off of the C drive. Besides the Administer built-in I am the sole user of the computer.  I have two methods: one is symbolic links, one is mirrored links (recommended).  I was wondering what role the folder "Documents and Settings" has to do.  It seems to contain identical info as the users files, what is the point?

The questions are:

1.  Do I need to move both  of my User folders:one in "Users" and the other in "Documents and Settings"?

2.  Why is there a Documents and Settings folder anyway? and what is it used for?

3.  I am using a Vortex 256 GB SSD for C drive, does that fact impact the move of my User folder?

4.  Would it be easier just to mover the whole User folder instead of just mine  I am the only user of the computer. Again will I have to move the Documents and Settings corresponding files?

5.  Does the drive Users is moved to have to be a Primary Drive or can it be a Logical?

Anybody have any answers about the Users vs Docs and Settings folders?  Any tips on moving the users to a larger drive would be appreciated.  I run all of Adobe Creative Cloud software so Users is getting big..

Dbellas

ASUS P6T-v2, I7-950 CPU, 12 GB RAM, PNY NVIDIA Quddro 3800 GPU, Vertex 256GB SSD, 2- 1T Segate, 4GB G-TECH RAID 5 EXTERNAL, iHAS424 DVD, PIONEER BD-CD403, 2- 30" ASUS 238Q MONITOR, WINDOWS 7 x64, 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish.  If you are trying to move these files to another computer why not just clone the operating system with a program like Marcium Reflect.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dbellas

dbellas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

Sorry, I guess I did not make it clear.  I want to move the Users folder to a larger drive and unload the smaller SSD.  Since the Users has the AppData and I user some 12 Video-Graphic-Design software packages, the "User/name/local(roaming)/AppData/Adobe/... is getting too big for its pants (figure of speech).  Soooo, that is why i want to move it to the F: drive.  I think that Microsoft ought to have allowed their users to customize the location of  AppData, they did'nt.

I hope that makes it clearer to you what I am trying to accomplish in this mixed up crazy world...Just moving off the C: drive to a larger drive.  Okay?

Thanks for your comment, how are the foothills by-the-by.  I moved here from Las Vegas about a year ago.  Talk about the stinking desert, boy, it was 127 there last week!!

DB

#4 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

I believe that this is what your trying to do..... Microsoft Answers has the steps you need to take....

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#5 dbellas

dbellas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Yes Mr. Member, that is indeed what I want to do. The flying duck will now give you 64 dollars, Thanks for that lead, however, I do need a few more answers, ie, as stated in my first post:

1) Does the drive I move it to need to be a Primary drive?

2) Windows 7 has another system folder called, "Documents and Settings" and it looks to me to be a copy of what is in the "users" folders.  I am wondering if I need to deal with that folder in any way, or just ignore it  IJf the answer is 'forget about it", what purpose does Documents and Settings have that the User folders do not accomplish?

This is going well.  How is Texas, I worked at EDS in Plano for a bit.  Post Pirot, and I heard a sucking sound from the lobby door, pink slips were carried away with the sound.  Not I though, I was promoted to Director of GIS Services with 38 employees.  no, hold it 16, no 10, 3.  Yep, went from 38 to 3 in the space of 30 days.  I'd tell you why but that's another story.

Dbellas

#6 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Glad that is what you were looking for....

As for the drive having to be the primary drive.... No it does not have to be the primary drive, however it needs to be available to the system at all times. (therefore if you use an external USB drive for example, it will have to stay connected).

To get an understanding of what the Documents and settings folder in windows 7 is for see HERE

Start Off Topic....

Texas is great, and I have family that lives in the DFW area....

End off topic....

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

If all you want to do is move to a larger drive...why not simply clone the old drive to the new drive...rather than shuttling folders around?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users