Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound - no reason!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

Hi gang!  You've been so helpful before, maybe you can help me figure this one out.

The time finally arrived when I was forced to get a "new" computer.  My backup service was telling me it couldn't do any more backups, and my old system was running so slow, I could literally have a coffee break in the time it took for a new browser tab to open.  So, I found a refurbished computer on Craigslist and for the first time in many years, actually paid money for a computer!  I've always taken others' giveaways.  I needed something that would still run XP, since I'm not ready to upgrade some of my software - can't afford to buy new licenses and refuse to pirate.

So, the new system is Dell with Pentium D Dual Core, 2.86 GHz, 4 G Ram, 500 G HD, running Windows XP Pro SP3,   Sound is SoundMax Digital Audio - however, there is no sound.  Not from the system speakers, not from my external speakers.  And there doesn't seem to be a reason.  The drivers are current, every box is correctly checked, the i's dotted and the t's crossed.  According to what my system tells me, all devices are working correctly. The installed troubleshooter can't find a problem.  I tried to install the Microsoft "fixit" software, but it doesn't want to run, it only wants to tell me to install something else.  So, I ended up with about five copies of the fixit program and four copies of all the other stuff it wanted me to download to run it, and it never would run, so I trashed all of that.  Figured this forum would suit me better.

I suppose there might be a conflict somewhere, but I would not know where to look.  Since there is almost nothing on the new computer, it might be easy to find a conflict.

Anyone want to help me out with this?

Oh, and the guy I bought it from seems like a good guy and would help me, only he's off on a vacation to Acapulco.  He showed me the system when I bought it, but I honestly do not remember if the sound was working or not.

OK, thanks, and hopefully someone can help me with this!  I really want to use my lovely speakers with my new computer, or just get some sound from the system speaker, if that's all I can get.

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2013 - 02:44 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:13 AM

Check the speakers are not muted.  (yeah, I know,,.....)....check anyway.

Start....run......Services.msc.......Windows Audio.......right click......properties.......

Does it show STOP....or Started...?

If stop.....then set it to Automatic !!.....apply, OK

Then......right click on My Computer.......properties....hardware tab......Device manager.......Sound, video and game Controllers,

If one of the entries there has  yellow exclamation point.....either enable it.....or uninstall it and reboot and it will reinstall itself.

Then....control panel ....Sounds and Audio Devices....set the default device.........TEST TIME.

Tell us a little bit about your speakers.....you have just bought them??....they have been used before??.....you are Positive they are ok and working ??

anyway....if this doesnt do the trick....let us know and I am sure someone will have 2 cents worth to throw in......

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thank you, Condobloke, you're a plate!

I ran those checks (again ;)  ) both with and without the external speakers, just exactly as you printed.  Still no sound from either the system speaker or the externals.

My externals are an awesome set I got with a previous Gateway computer that is now a large doorstop, although it works just fine for a storage unit.  I do not believe there is any problem with them.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

What is the model of this Dell?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

It is an Optiplex GX620.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps3c082bf1.png

Click on File, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click in the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

Ok, first  - OUCH!!!  The download site you posted loaded all that horrible Mixi-DJ browser hijacking crap I had to delete once before, so I had to go through and remove it all again!  I downloaded it from Piriform instead.  All that did was give me Chrome - no big deal.

So, now - here's the Speccy URL: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/mmAkoLV0STfkj5qVVxnma51

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Unfortunately I'm working with a diminished mental capacity today do to medications I'm using for a very short time, so I forgot to suggest that you read what you are agreeing to before clicking on any next button.  Now days is it becoming a common practice to add third party softwares in download.  These already have check marks in them, if you don't remove the check marks you will receive these download.  I will amend my canned speech to to address this.

Do to my current condition will need to read your Speccy later this afternoon when my cognitive abilities have returned to normal.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

#9 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'm so sorry you're not feeling well today.  Please disregard any of my anxiety driven, stress-related comments, as they are created from pressure in my real world, not my virtual one. :cherry:

File Hippo is quite egregious in its insinuations.  It gives you the option to "skip all" when it first starts up offering all the crap.  However, "skip all" does not mean skip all the free crap, it means skip all the opt outs for the free crap.  I dunno, I think a lawsuit may make the free crap go away.  If you've got the virtual Jehovah's Witnesses and neighborhood realtors knocking on your door, seems to me that a virtual "no solicitations" sign should be easy enough to get.

However, none of that solves my issue with the resounding silence emanating from my computer.  Please, no hurry!  Take your time, or maybe someone else can chime in.  In the meantime, I'm going to look for a virtual lawyer.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

That was priceless!  Had me laughing out loud.  Had to read it to my wife.

I am slowly detoxing, so I will look at this first thing in the morning.  

I added the following warning to this canned speech since it is used quite often.

Attention:  It has become a common practice with a large number freeware and shareware downloads to include third party downloads.  These downloads show up during the installation of the primary download with the third party downloads already enabled for downloading.  If you don't remove the check mark these third party downloads will be installed on your computer.  For this reason it is important that you carefully read every page in the download process to make sure you are not accepting unwanted downloads which may be difficult to uninstall if you don't want them.

Edit:  The downloads at File Hippo aren't the party who is egregious, it is the author who accepted these third party downloads and allowed the verbiage which implies that all the third party downloads can be skipped.  I'm now going to add to my warning that if the option for an advanced download is available to use it, as you then have a great deal more control over the download.

Getta rope!!! 

Edited by dc3, 07 August 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

The speakers are not Boston units by any chance are they? Some Gateway models were supplied with these which would only work with great difficulty or not at all without the specific Soundblaster sound card they matched...

Top 5 things that never get done:

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

....this info from your Speccy Report....

Audio
Sound Card
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Playback Device
SoundMAX Digital Audio

you have checked in control panel > sounds and audio devices > Audio tab....default device should be set to SoundMAX.......??

jus checkin...

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

Platypus!  You're a certified freakin' genius!!  Yes, of course they are Boston speakers that came with my old Gateway and worked perfectly on that.  The model number is Digital BA735, and I bet they only work on that sound card.  Maybe I should yank it from my old Gateway before I dump it, eh?  Only, I bet there's no way that sound card will work on the Dell.  The Hatfields and the McCoys just don't play well together.  Or maybe there's a way to FORCE them to work.  Can I opt in to a Computer Communist Regime?

But Platypus!!  That still won't solve my problem!!  If I switch my computer over to system sound, I still get nothing.  Ah, what is the answer?

#14 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:11 AM

So, what I've been able to glean from the Interwebz is that the SoundMax "Digital" Audio sound card actually is an analog output, so my digital speakers will not work unless I replace the sound card.  The good news seems to be that the sound card from my Gateway might just work in the Dell, so I'm going to yank it and try it out when I have time, whenever that is.

However, before I do that, I'd still like to figure out why I can't get any sound at all on the Dell.  Maybe the sound card just needs to be replaced, even though it is supposedly working correctly.  

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd appreciate it.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

I'm a little puzzled as to what you're referring to as "system" speakers - does the GX260 have internal speakers in the case? Most desktop systems only use an internal motherboard speaker for BIOS POST beeps. Do you hear the "OK" confirmation beep when the system first powers up? If not, then there may be no internal speaker connected, which would mean you would also not hear basic Windows system sounds unless conventional external speakers were plugged in.

My understanding of the BA735 speakers is that you will either need to fit its own matched sound card in the Dell, and find the correct Boston driver which has the special option to enable the digital output on the 3.5mm socket, or use a sound card which has coaxial digital out (not optical) and use an appropriate cable to connect it to the Bostons.

Edited by Platypus, 08 August 2013 - 07:25 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users