Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help converting laptop to desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cptbryan

cptbryan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

Hello,

So I had the bright idea to turn my laptop into a desktop because of MAJOR overheating issues, thinking I could help circumvent airflow and add extra fans and so on. I have a fairly decent knowledge of computers, and I am also a redneck so I decided to go ahead and make my own computer case out of wood and put the laptop components in there. So far this has been a catastrophe. I haven't really had a way to mount it, so I picked up some aluminum standoffs from home depot that are turning out to be way to small. I managed to pretty much gut out anything I thought was essential to the operation of the machine and connect it all together, outside of the laptop. I haven't grounded anything and I'm not sure if I need too. The laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio X505. I'll attach pictures below and watch this thread like a hawk, and will gladly give info and more pics if needed

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

This reminds me of the Red Green Show.  All that is lacking is duct tape and bailing wire. :hysterical:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 cptbryan

cptbryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

This reminds me of the Red Green Show.  All that is lacking is duct tape and bailing wire. :hysterical:

Haha, yes, your right.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

Well, it's an interesting idea !  However if your first photo shows your brand new, homemade enclosure in anything like its final state you are not going to solve your over-heating problem.

You need to mount a fan on one of the case walls with an appropriate sized hole in the wall for the fan. With a fan installed on the wall the array of small holes you have will allow enough air in, and the fan will blow it out. At the moment, with the set-up as shown, all you are doing is circulating hotter and hotter air around the inside of the case.

Good luck, and pass the duct tape !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users