Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb issues

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Kurdah

Kurdah

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

I've had this issue for about a year now that i can't seem to figure out what the problem is, my computer boots up everything works fine EXCEPT for my usbs, they have power as i can charge my phone via usb port, all of them work however when i plug in a keyboard and mouse they won't respond. The mouse's optic laser thing at the bottom shines for about half a second then it's gone just as fast. I've recently dug it back out to fiddle with it some more and i believe it could be the drivers are corrupt, how would i go about getting a system restore on it? I can't access it because as I said, keyboards and mice do not work on it. they work fine on my laptop, even bought a new mouse, to no avail it simply doesn't recognize them. Windows 7 is the os, though i can't offer much more than that.

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2013 - 12:20 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Win 7 - Hamluis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Open the Device Manager and scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers and click on the triangle to expand the menu and see if there are any yellow questions marks or red X's.

If you find one double click on the controller, click on the Driver tab and uninstall the driver.  A new driver will be installed the next time the computer is started.

If you have  any question about any of the controllers you can uninstall as many as you like, restart the computer and new drivers will be installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kurdah

Kurdah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

I can't click or type or anything, no mice or keyboards will turn on when plugged into it, that's my problem

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

I knew that! :whistle:

Can you boot into Safe Mode?  Start tapping the F8 key immediately after pressing the power button.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Kurdah

Kurdah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

Doesn't change anything, it just boots as usual, starts start up repair then tells me to system restore to a previous time that it worked.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

If you don't have the installation disc for Windows 7 you can download a legal copy the 7Forums.

You will need to burn the ISO file to a DVD, I prefer IngBurn to burn the disk.  There is a tutorial for the which can be found here.

Once you have the disc you will want to use the System Recovery Command Prompt to make a repair.  Just follow the instructions in the tutorial.

#7 Kurdah

Kurdah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

it says i need an activation key, that of which i do not have. I bought the computer refurbished, would i need to buy another windows 7 lisence? o.O

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

#9 Kurdah

Kurdah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz

Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)

I believe? not sure what you mean, sorry.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Make of computer, like Dell, Gateway, tec.

The model would be like a Dell Latitide d630, Gateway sx2370, etc.

#11 Kurdah

Kurdah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

It's an intel, can't tell what the other half would be, could i check without logging onto it?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

I'm guessing that this is a desktop computer since you are using an external mouse and keyboard.

On the front of the desktop the model should be visible.

Some where on the case you will find the product product identification label.  This will provide all the information you need.

#13 Kurdah

Kurdah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

ahhh, thank you it's an hp pavilion p6000, i was looking at the motherboard :/

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

The tag on the side of the case should have the twenty five character alphanumeric product code.

Another way to find this would be to use SIW to find the product code.

Download and run SIW.  When it open scroll down the Software options to Licenses and click on it.

In the right pane the product code will appear, it usually will be the first in the list, but may show up two or three times.

Do not post this code in this topic.  

#15 Kurdah

Kurdah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

Alright, thank you for all of the help very much appreciate it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users