OK, I'm stumped. Second system in two days that fails to boot. The first kicked my arse and wound up giving up on repairing the existing Win7 install and restored to the factory image. Hate doing that. Feels like failure. Today I have another system with exact same issue, Here's what's happening and a short version of what I've tried.
- System seems to try to boot and gets the loading Windows screen, Then it just stops and the screen blanks to black.
- Tried starting the system in safe mode. No dice. Failed to finish booting. Black screen when it stops.
- Tried startup repair from the Windows Recovery Environment - failed.
- Tried system restore from WIn RE - failed
- Ran chkdsk /r from Win RE command prompt - no errors
- Opened a command prompt in WinRE and used the bootrec tool with /FixMBR switch. Still fails to boot
- Tried to rebulld the BCD from command prompt w/ bootrec:
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Result? Fails to boot
- Booted with SP1 DVD and tried running system file checker offline:
X:\Sources>sfc /scannow /offbootdir c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
SFC runs and reports "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations,"
Result? Still fails to boot.
If anyone has an idea on where to go next with this, I'm open to about anything. Hate to go the factory image/reinstall route. Really wanna get to the root of the issue and beat this without resorting to restoring the factory image or otherwise reinstalling Windows but at this point I'm all out.