Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton power eraser

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hectley

Hectley

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

I used norton power eraser on my windows 8 and I restarted it just like it said but it just took me to a black screen. I try to turn the computer off but I'm still stuck on the black screen, the cursor is visible but nothing is happening. Is this part of the program or is something messed up

Moved from Intros to more appropriate forum. ~~Mod edit boopme

Edited by boopme, 05 August 2013 - 08:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Norton power eraser creates a restore point before running a scan.

Windows 8 System Restore Guide

Because Norton Power Eraser uses aggressive methods to detect threats, there is a risk that it can select some legitimate programs for removal. You should use this tool very carefully. If you accidently remove a legitimate program, you can run Norton Power Eraser to review past repair sessions and undo them.

Edited by dc3, 06 August 2013 - 12:53 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Hectley

Hectley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

I've tried pressing f8 and shift a couple of times and also disconnecting all the cables but I'm still stuck on the black screen. Any other suggestion, thanks

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

See here: http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

The trick is to hold the Shift button and mash the F8 key, this will sometimes boot you into the new advanced “recovery mode”,  where you can choose to see advanced repair options.

If this doesn't work, then you are pretty stuck and I suggest you make a topic here (with a FRST log if you can): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users