Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't read CBS log generated by System File Checker

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hunting.Targ

Hunting.Targ

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

Okay; I have been having issues with Firefox and certain websites that may be unrelated, but when I couldn't start Windows Media Player, I started hunting for answers.  Based on forum advice from the Microsoft Support Community, I ran System File Checker, which 'detected corrupt files' and said that they would be repaired after a reboot, and told me where to view the log.  I tried to view the log, but upon attempting to open it, was met with a whitespace inside the Notepad view window, and the overlaying dialog box read "Access denied."  I rebooted the computer and tried again; same result.  I shrugged and moved on since my problem was fixed.  Only one day later, I tried running SFC again, and got the same result described above.

My question is; why can't I read the log file?  I checked over the file and folder permissions, and found absolutely no reason that my user account (which IS an administrator account) shouldn't just open the .txt file for me.  Tag-on question - is it normal for the log file to be 30k+ in size?  Insightful input will be appreciated.

Furious activity is no substitute for understanding.

-H.H. Williams

In a networked world, trust is the most important currency.
    -Eric Schmidt, University of Pennsylvania Commencement Address, 2009

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

Try this.

In the Search box type cmd , when this appears right click on it and click on Run as administrator.

Type in or copy and paste the following command.   net user administrator /active:yes

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Hunting.Targ

Hunting.Targ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:51 AM

Thank you for the information.  The results are attatched.

Attached Files

-H.H. Williams

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Are you logged on as the administrator?

What happens if you try to access the administrator account in the Control Panel?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

You have a query re your topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/501220/bootmgr-missing-while-diagnosing-malware/#entry3134037 .

Same system for both topics?

Louis

#6 Hunting.Targ

Hunting.Targ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

Same system for both topics?

Louis

To hamlius: No.  The system that this thread is about is the one I am working from, an older desktop running Windows Vista; the one in the other thread (BOOTMGR missing...) is about a notebook running Windows 7 Starter.

To dc3: Nothing unexpected happens in the User Accounts manager.  The account I normally use is an administrator account; unless you are asking me to log on using the default administrator account (which I do not know how to do), I can't give you more helpful information.  I am no more frustrated, but no less baffled, than when I started.

-H.H. Williams

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

The information I'm trying to get is do you have any other Administrator accounts showing in the Control Panel under User Accounts?

How many user accounts do you normally have?

When you start this computer do you have a choice of Administrator accounts to open?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users