Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Updates Problem...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Flightnut

Flightnut

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

My operating system is Windows XP SP3, 32bit (running it on a Dell Inspiron which I bought in 2007 (I think).

Here's my problem:  For about the past week or so whenever the computer does it's "Automatic Update" thing, I've been getting the following message:

"Some updates could not be installed.  Security update for Microsoft.net framework 1.1 SP, on Windows XP Windows Vista & Windows Server 2008 X86.  (KB2833941)

Now I'm starting to get this message everytime I turn on the machine. 

Also when I turn off the machine, I'm advised that an update is being installed and the computer will shut down when completed.  Then, the next time I turn the computer on, the cycle begins all over again.

Anyone have any suggestions (besides buying a new computer :smash:

Thanks!

Reg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

First try this...

Download and run Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool then visit Windows Update and let it try to reinstall the updates. Once it's done, scan again with Windows Update to make sure they installed correctly.

If that doesn't solve it try this...

Uninstall .NET Framework 1.1.
Reinstall .NET Framework 1.1
Download and install .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Visit Windows Update or Microsoft Update and let it install the rest of the 1.1 updates including KB2833941

Let me know which method worked for you.

Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

#3 Flightnut

Flightnut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

Thanks, "X"...I'll try your reccommendations.  The thing is that the last time (yesterday) I went to windows update, I got a message stating I needed Internet Explorer??? :lmao:

I haven't used that browsers in years.  I'm strictly a Mozilla fan :love4u:

Anyway, I'll see what happens and get back.

Reg

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

The reason it is requesting IE is because you need Activex to download the updates.  IE has this, some browsers don't.

Edited by dc3, 06 August 2013 - 09:29 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Flightnut

Flightnut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

:smash: Dear X:  Still not working properly.  Tried your second option.  Now I get the following:  "The following not installed...Microsoft.net framwork 1.1 Service Pack 1"

:smash: Reg

#6 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

I had one guy try to install service pack 1 before the main 1.1. Make sure you are not doing the same. Let me know about this.

"The following not installed...Microsoft.net framwork 1.1 Service Pack 1" sounds like an incomplete message. Try again and see if that's the full message. If it's not, pay close attention to what is says and post the exact wording, error codes, etc of the message . Take a screenshot if necessary and attach it to your next reply.

#7 Flightnut

Flightnut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Dear "X":  Tried to install updates again with the same result. :smash:   The message was as follows: 

Some updates could not be installed.  The following updates were not installed:  Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

Reg ( :smash: )

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Download...Install From Desktop

Louis

#9 Flightnut

Flightnut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

Sorry, hamluis but this doesn't work either.  Downloaded the file and it would not run.  Got the following message:  "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable...Click "ok" to try again or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package "netfx.ms1" in the box below."

So...I clicked ok and got the following:  The path "C:\Docume~lowner\locals~1\Temp\1XP000.Tmp\netfx.ms1" cannot be found.  Verify that you have access to this location and try again or try to find the installation package "netfx.ms1" in a folder from which you can install the product Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1

And in the meantime I still get update messages that can't be installed.  This has gone from a minor annoyance to a problem. :devil: :smash:  Reg

#10 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Click start, run, browse and browse to NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe. Double click it. The path will now be in the run dialog. After .exe add a space and /xp. It will ask you where you want to extract the package. Save it to your desktop. It should be named S867460.msp. Now, just double click to run it. It will apply the patch.

#11 Flightnut

Flightnut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

:smash: Sorry X:  No go.  Go a nice, big, fat "File Not Found" when I browsed.  Oh, well, I think I'm done.  Thanks anyway!

Reg

#12 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

Use the Dotnetfx.exe file to install the .NET Framework 1.1. When you use this file to install the .NET Framework 1.1, the Windows Installer service on your computer is stopped before the installation process. To download the Dotnetfx.exe file, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

Restart your computer, and then use the Netfx.msi Windows Installer package to install the .NET Framework 1.1.

Regards......................

#13 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

:smash: Sorry X:  No go.  Go a nice, big, fat "File Not Found" when I browsed.  Oh, well, I think I'm done.  Thanks anyway!

Reg

Suit yourself but if you had done exactly what I posted, you would see no error message.

@sikntired, he's already got that installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users