Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 98se Connecting Browser To Internet--lost Connection

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 woodysnitemare

woodysnitemare

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:36 AM

Hello i seem to have issues connecting to internet ---was working and then not...i cleaned with spybot-adaware se -and even turned off the fire wall still troubles connecting....any sharp shooters out there its 5.30am

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:13 AM

Needs some info to work with first woody.
How are you connected? (cable, dsl, wireless, analog modem)
What browser are you using?
What happens when you try to connect?

#3 woodysnitemare

woodysnitemare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:05 PM

well i hook on with cable----its a router but hard wired to this computer...not wireless ----and i have all 3 browsers ...we tried firefox and explorer and netscape all 3 wont connect....i called the service provider ,,,,and he tried all tests and says he can see my computer in ping tests ...and he said he cant preceed any more as its perhaps a winsock error or connection computer troubles with programs ...so i have tried many ways to connect bypassed the router direct to the cable modem with service provider refreshing the modem and he says he can see we are connected,,,,----well i am sure you get the idea now....i welcome help

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:12 PM

Spybot S&D makes a Restore Point prior to making changes. Try to go back to the Restore Point just before the problem appeared.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 woodysnitemare

woodysnitemare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:24 PM

good thought problem is the service provider said try un-installing zone alarm and spybot ...so last resort we did ---so there un-installed ....we direct hooked up to cable modem by-passing router with service provider on phone ping testing computer ..still cant connect any browser to internet ..sits there says can not connect.....

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:48 PM

Do the following...
Unplug everthing. Modem, router, and coputers. If the Cable modem has a battery backup built in remove it. Wait one minute, and start plugging in the devices starting with the modem and wait the the status light come on. Then plug the router in. When the status lights come on, you canstart your computers.
This will reset all of the WAN and LAN IP addresses that DHCP issues.

#7 woodysnitemare

woodysnitemare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

wow --------acklan------you deserve the metal of honor------could i have your ya-hoo messenger name ----mine is bleepingcomputer12771------i fix equipment heavy stuff --dozers back hoes chain saws all engines small to large---and its allways a simple thing usually and your the first to suggest that very thing and the computer is online now like a saint of valour ! thanks friend ......if you have equipment problems from lawn mowers to back hoes ---message me yahoo ok friend ....ACKLAN IS THE MAN! THANKS FOR YOU HELP AND I HOPE I CAN PAY BACK THAT FAVOR WHEN YOU NEED ME....PEACE BROTHER

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:04 PM

Sometimes it is simple. Glad to help.

#9 woodysnitemare

woodysnitemare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:16 PM

Acklan----i want to thank you for your help ...also wanted to say thanks for the site...also would like to help anyone i can ---please feel free to message me at ----bleepingcomputer12771 on yahoo messenger /mail is same ---ACKLAN I HAVE A COUPLE OTHER QUESTIONS IF YOU WOULD BE SO KIND TO IN YOUR SPARE TIME TO LISTEN TO ME .,.....IF POSSIBLE CAN YOU MESSAGE ME YAHOO MESSENGER ABOVE ...THANKS ------WOODY

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:34 PM

I would be glad to answer any question you have. Fire away :thumbsup:

#11 woodysnitemare

woodysnitemare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:35 PM

problem resolved reloading updated programs ...doing clean up and seems to be ok now ..thanks ----reloading spybot and zonealarm-thanks acklan for the help ----------catch you when you have time ....message me if ya can -peace to all.....may all be safe!

***Mod Edit - merged topics to maintain continuity for the original post - rigel ****

Edited by rigel, 21 April 2006 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users