Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 410 reboots itself

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

Specs:

http://postimg.org/image/rzues2zqt/

Note: I erased the drive so there is no OS on the computer at the moment.

-

I have a Dell XPS 410 that constantly reboots itself. This issue occurred the next morning, approximately 8 hours. The computer was operating just fine before that. Occassionally, the computer allows me to play on the OS or my old Linux Mint 13 disc before spamming the logout menu then repeatedly rebooting itself. It will also reboot if I manage to get into the Win XP disc. The majority of the time the computer immediately, repeatedly reboots itself, reaching only the black screen that displays my devices, just before the system asks me if I would like to boot from an inserted disc. The computer will also reboot itself when in the BIOS.

I've tried a brand new power supply but that didn't help. I've also tried reseating the graphic card and RAM, swapping the RAM, disconnecting and reconnecting all cables and cleaning the inside of the tower, but the computer still constantly reboots itself. I have the latest BIOS version (2.5.3), and I haven't tampered with any of the BIOS settings. I'm not sure what the problem is. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

Does it happen if you run it without the case? Something may be shorting out while in the case.

In other words, nothing but Motherboard (on cardboard), RAM, CPU and cooler, PSU, video, keyboard and mouse. Does it reboot while in the BIOS now?

#3 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

I'm not sure how to do that. There is a board (I guess it is responsible for the power button and the two front ports) that doesn't seem removable or, at least, seems difficult to remove. It connects to the motherboard in two places. Would I just remove the motherboard and set it next to the tower so those cables can remain attached? I'm not sure if I have cardboard to place the motherboard on but maybe I can find something.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

Try resetting the CMOS.  There is a battery on the motherboard which is silver in color and about the size of a U.S. quarter.  Next to this is a header with three pins with a jumper over connecting the center pin and one of the end pins.  Remove the jumper and replace it so that it is connected to the other end pin.  Leave this for about thirty seconds and then replace it the way it was originally.  This will set the COMS back to the default settings. 

Edit:  Before touching anything inside the case touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.  Electrostatic discharges can damage or kill some components inside the case.

Edited by dc3, 06 August 2013 - 10:18 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

Try resetting the CMOS.  There is a battery on the motherboard which is silver in color and about the size of a U.S. quarter.  Next to this is a header with three pins with a jumper over connecting the center pin and one of the end pins.  Remove the jumper and replace it so that it is connected to the other end pin.  Leave this for about thirty seconds and then replace it the way it was originally.  This will set the COMS back to the default settings. 

Edit:  Before touching anything inside the case touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.  Electrostatic discharges can damage or kill some components inside the case.

I only see one jumper and it isn't near the battery. It also doesn't have 3 pins; it has 2 pins and another 2 above it. I switched the jumper to the 2 pins above it and removed the battery. It didn't help.

It sounds like the computer is struggling to start like a motor. The computer has a motor sound that becomes feint then picks up again every time it reboots.

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 06 August 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#6 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

The problem seems to lie within the motherboard. I unplugged everything (RAM, graphics, etc.) except for the power supply (I already know the power supply isn't the issue) and the issue still exists. It should, at least, stay powered on but it doesn't. 

Edit: I guess it could also be the processor.

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 12 August 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#7 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

But is the problem the motherboard, or the fact that it is shorting out against the case?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

When you did the minimum build did you get any beep codes?

When you put everything back together try disabling the automatic restarts.  With this done you will get a BSOD, please write done the Stop: error code.

Do disable the automatic restarts click on  Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery.  Under startup and Recovery click on Settings, uncheck the box in Automatically restart under System failure.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

But is the problem the motherboard, or the fact that it is shorting out against the case?

I don't see why it would be shorting out against the tower: It isn't touching the tower, and it's worked fine before. If it were the problem, I would have to replace the tower anyway, right? It's probably better to just buy a new computer at that point. I'll try and see if it stays powered on with just the motherboard, processor, and power supply and the motherboard out of the tower, though.

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 12 August 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#10 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

When you did the minimum build did you get any beep codes?

When you put everything back together try disabling the automatic restarts.  With this done you will get a BSOD, please write done the Stop: error code.

Do disable the automatic restarts click on  Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery.  Under startup and Recovery click on Settings, uncheck the box in Automatically restart under System failure.

It beeps without any pauses for 2 to 3 seconds then restarts and repeats the process.

#11 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

When I attempt to boot the computer with the motherboard removed from the tower, do I need the heatsink and fan for the processor?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yes...  Do not remove the fan and heatsink assembly, if you do you will need to reapply the thermal compound between the heatsink and the CPU.

#13 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

I tried running the motherboard outside of the tower but it didn't help. The thermal compound is all dried up.

#14 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

I ordered a new motherboard. I'll see if that solves the issue.

#15 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

The motherboard didn't solve the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users