Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to the internet--can't get ethernet driver for xp--poweredge sc440

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nmbarden

nmbarden

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

I have a Dell PowerEdge SC 440 that I got from a computer school that closed.  When I got it, it was running XP.  I used it for 2 years then XP stopped loading.  I installed XP professional but I was missing 3 drivers.  Chatted w/Dell and was told that Windows XP is not a supported operating system on the Power Edge SC 440 platform.  Server 2003 would be supported but server 2003 is extinct and not available from Microsoft or Dell.  He said that this computer shipped w/o an OS so the school installed their own.  I was able to load a video driver and a chipset but can't fix the ethernet.  

Additonal info:  The network adapter is based on the Broadcom BCM5754 adapter chipset.  

I'm wondering if I install Server 2003 would I be able to get on the internet?  That is my main goal w/the computer.  I'm using it for homeschool.  Confused how it connected and ran great for 2 years and now I can't find a driver that is compatible w/XP.  Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time!

Nicole :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

One option would be to install a "LAN card" in one of your PCI slots. That would solve your problem, because XP has drivers for most "LAN cards". EG : .D Link DFE 530 TX. Of course you would have to plug your internet cable into the "LAN card" not into your mobo.

Edited by JHMcG, 05 August 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

I believe that the Built in Ethernet port is a Gigabit port

The Ethernet driver can be found on this page http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS004021

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_drivers/q4etn07ws17.exe

This package installs an updated version of the Microsoft Windows XP (32-bit) and (64-bit) device driver

1. Click Start, click Search, then click All files and folders.
  2. Type q4etn07ws17.exe in the search field, then click Search. This will locate the file you just downloaded.
  3. Double-click the q4etn07ws17.exe icon.
  4. Click Next. Read the license agreement.
  5. Click I accept the terms in the license agreement.
  6. Click Next.
  7. Ensure that "Save files in folder" is set to C:\SWTOOLS\DRIVERS\ETHERNET\Q4ETN07WS17.

Then Install the drivers from that location. Hopefully This will solve Your problem.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 nmbarden

nmbarden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

Hi Roger!

Thank you so much but I have to install it from my laptop to a flash drive or external hard drive the install on the pc b/c I don't have internet.  It couldn't save it to the f:/ drive.  Thoughts on how I can make it work?  

#5 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

Like I said before, - Put a LAN Card in one of your PCI slots., then boot your machine. WinXP will install a driver for the LAN Card, then plug your internet cable into the LAN Card, and you will have internet. After that with internet available, you can go online and download a driver for your onboard LAN port.

Edited by JHMcG, 05 August 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

Hi, Let it save to the laptops C: drive and then copy it to the flash drive.

With any luck You can save the money from buying a PCI card.

Then You can install from the flash drive.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 August 2013 - 02:30 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

Well, in the worst case, if you can't download the appropriate driver to your laptop, you should be able to borrow a LAN Card, cause they are more or less obsolete. I have 5 of them I am not using. If you have a friend at a computer shop, your friend should be willing to lend you one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users