Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

explorer.exe error... and it gets worse

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 P3nnyw1se

P3nnyw1se

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

Hey guys I work as a student IT supporter at a big union.

Today one of the employees called me to a problem with his computer.

Specs,
Lenovo T500
32bit, Windows Vista, Office 2007,
Internet Explorer and Google Chrome

registered in our AD.

Issue:

Whenever I try to use the explorer, be it controlpanel, Computer or so on.
explorer crashes with the error: Appcrash.exe

Issue no.2
It has bitlocker on, and the code is lost, which means that I can't access 'safe mode' and as a result, try and fix this.

What have I tried?

msconfig, and deactivated programs that start during boot, every single one.

SFC /Scannow
I tried opening job list, and closed down everything than the most essential windows processes.
I installed CCleaner 'through CMD' and ran the registry clean, it found a few minor things but nothing that solved the issue

What I suspect:
seems to me like its an installed program/plugin, probably for one of the browsers thats causing this

or caused some form of registry error..
lately I've seen a few virusses on 'his floor' but none that had me locked out like this

Now.. I've already 'officially' spend too much time trying to fix this according to our protocols, and in reality
I should be giving this machine a new image right now.
The only problem is.. that against company policies.. this employee went ahead and saved ****loads of important documents on his C:\
theoretically I assume I could access and move all his files one by one through CMD, I'm not that good with CMD and would take me a lot of time
so hoping someone out there might be able to help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Using Ccleaner can create registry errors if it isn't used properly.  This is why Bleeping Computer does not endorse the use of registry cleaners or optimizers.

You can use Ubuntu to recover data from the hard drive.  Once that is done you can follow the company's protocal.

Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc.  To do this please download ImgBurn.

When you open ImgBurn you will see a page like the one below.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on Write image file to disc outlined in red.

The next page to open will be like the one below.

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Click on the icon of the folder and magnifing glass outlined in red to the right of Source to locate the Ubuntu ISO file.  Place a CD in the optic drive and click Burn.

In order to boot from this disc you may need to enter the BIOS and make your CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 P3nnyw1se

P3nnyw1se
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:40 AM

thx if I can't make it run again, I will use this solution to pull out the users data, even though my boss at this point wants me to throw it out the window

#4 P3nnyw1se

P3nnyw1se
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:46 AM

Well I can tell you now I fixed it.
After unlocking Bitlocker I was able to start in safemode.. and identify a virus called 'browserManager'

once I had Malware Antibytes remove it, it seems to work again :)

Edited by P3nnyw1se, 06 August 2013 - 03:01 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

Glad to hear you have it resolved.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users