Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 doesn't complete loading

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RedLenin

RedLenin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:47 AM

I get to the password step, enter password, and then all I get is a black screen with the mouse cursor showing (and working). That's where it ends unfortunately!

I have 4 x 2gig memory so am currently checking these.

Booting into safe mode is possible but after this loads mouse clicks just get no response.

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

You say that booting into safe mode is possible, therefore I presume before you get there you can see the 'Boot options' screen.

Have you tried selecting either 'Last known good configuration' ( 1st choice ) or 'System repair' ( 2nd choice ) ?  The first choice is the simpler, because all you have to do is select it and let it do its thing !  System repair is a bit more complicated, but allows more options. If it works, great. If it doesn't, choose 'Advanced options', then 'System restore' and see if you can restore the computer to a restore point dating from before this trouble started.

This often works, but not always. Nothing works all the time !  If it doesn't, it is probably tiime to check your hard drive for problems before going any further.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 RedLenin

RedLenin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

Thanks, Chris. Can't say I recall ever seeing a Boot Options screen but I'll try that.

I checked every memory card (swapping each one in turn with a brand new one + used Memtest for 40 minutes - I know, not very long, but I needed a working machine fast).

Then, because it was urgent I removed the hard disk and got another old computer to read it (I needed the data). This hard disk seems absolutely fine. The immediate crisis is now over but obviously I want to get my machine back up and running. Away for the next week so will try your ideas when I get back. Many thanks again!

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

Thanks, Chris. Can't say I recall ever seeing a Boot Options screen but I'll try that.

Try pressing F8 quite a few as soon as your computer boots up. That should give you the option to access these options Chris talks about.

Sounds like it may be Windows corruption or malware, but I'll see if LKGC or system restore does anything. Two questions; what were you doing last before you could boot into Windows properly, and have you checked your hard drive in case it could be failing?

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users