Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seemingly Dead Laptop Mobo After Teardown

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ben79k

ben79k

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:07 AM

Hey guys, I've recieved an ASUS N61J from a friend. It suffered an obliterated power jack, smashed up case in that corner, and a dead screen. My friend rigged it for a few more gaming sessions before replacing it, plugged into HDMI and soldered bare charger wires for power. It gamed multiple hours. because of this, I believe in it's integrity post-drop.

My project was to build a mini-desktop unit out of the board and a very basic metal mounting plate i made. I took great care disassembling the unit, but it refuses to fire up for some unknown reason now that it's mounted and "ready to go"

Things i'm wondering about (can you suggest anything): 

-I tossed the keyboard and trackpad as they were not functioning properly, could the board not fire up without these plugged in? I don't have a way to test this..

-I tore down my friend's soldered on sketchy power hookup and replaced the power jack with one off of amazon. it fits the socket fine, could it be a problem, though? 

Misc. things i've tried:

-replace BIOS battery

-alternate chargers (2) one same spec one higher voltage

-alternate battery (1)

You guys have been amazing with ideas and solutions in the past, so thank you in advance for your time. if you need pictures or anything else to help understand my problem, please let me know :)

Main Rig: FX4100@4.2Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1866, ASUS M5A99X EVO, 2x Radeon 6870, 128GB Vertex4 SSD, 1TB HDD, Thermaltake Chaser MK-2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hi,

I'd find a keyboard of some description to use - external in the USB port? The mouse could also be a requirement.

I'm assuming that you have the laptop screen attached.

Take a really good look at how you have the motherboard attached to that plate. Be sure only the ground points are touching. Anything else could be grounding out the system.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 ben79k

ben79k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hmm. USB keyboard and mouse do not help. there is no attempt at firing. completely dead. I have a monitor hooked up via HDMI, do you think it's disliking having nothing to power with the intended monitor voltage? 

Main Rig: FX4100@4.2Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1866, ASUS M5A99X EVO, 2x Radeon 6870, 128GB Vertex4 SSD, 1TB HDD, Thermaltake Chaser MK-2

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

Hi,

If the motherboard sees the connection it will adjust. Did you check [recheck] for any possible grounding of the motherboard?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 ben79k

ben79k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:52 PM

seems to be just fine. no matter how i position it or what surface i put it on. screwed it back down. Im suspecting this power adapter i purchased off of ebay. it's the female socket that the charger plugs into. how can i test this as i have no other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users