Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HomeGroup Sharing Files? Preview Icons in Folders Not Appearing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ENova

ENova

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

I think my initial topic was in the wrong section, so I made the topic here with an appropriate title that better addresses the issue.

-There were some strange events leading up to this so I'll start from the beginning from the startup of my laptop to what I'm experiencing now.

-My laptop was running fine throughout the day and turned it off after I had to go eat dinner.

After dinner, I started up my laptop and after typing my password in and hitting enter, it was buffering for quite awhile at the log-in screen (Windows 8). It took 3-5 min at least and I finally could go to my desktop.

Afterwards, I went on to www.soul-arena.com to play a flash game for awhile and at the same time browse youtube for music.

-After browsing youtube for awhile, I came across some weird loading problem. After typing something in the search bar, the youtube page took awhile to load, so I thought it was my Internet. I tried closing the tab, but it wouldn't close until a few seconds later.  Youtube was working fine after, but it go to a point where for some reason a few seconds in to the video, everything would stop. The video stopped loading and for some reason I could not click around on the flash game that I had running at the same time. So I closed youtube again, this time with no problems, and I could freely move around in my flash game. After ecountering these issues with youtube, I closed my Chrome browser and tried opening it up again, but I couldn't open it. I would click on Chrome on the taskbar and there would be the loading circle by the mouse and after Chrome wouldn't show up. So then I checked FireFox and FireFox was running fine.

-A few minutes later, my internet started acting up. The internet was working to some extent but it would never fully load pages. I thought it might have been my laptop at first, but it affected my entire family's internet capibilites on the iPad and PS3. Couple of minutes passed and we decided to turn off our router and turn it on again, from there everything was fine, but my laptop wasn't.

-I restarted my laptop twice during the internet downtime and I noticed something strange. The WhiteFlag HomeGroup on the bottom right of the taskbar is saying that HomeGroup is sharing files. I found this odd because I had never seen this before. So I proceeded to open Norton360 to see if I was infected or anything. And for some reason Norton360 would not open either, just like Chrome. I would double-click it and it wouldn't come up. I can access everything just fine except Norton360 and Chrome. Norton360 then popped up from nowhere(twice) and was scanning or something and it came across an error.

Norton 360
Error: 8504, 104
Windows 8
9200.16628.amd64fre.win8_gdr.130531-1504
Norton Autofix Results: 0 item(s)

-I started going through the folders on my laptop and for some reason some images and some file icons were not loaded. Normally there would be small icons by the file name indicating what the file is such as a Word/Excel file, but for some reason there's just blank white paper icons. Some images in my folder seem to load while others don't.

I can open documents, pdfs, and photos but the preview pictures and icons are just blank. 

To the left side of the folders on the directory, the Favorites, Libraries, and HomeGroup all have a magnifying glass hovering over as if it's searching or something.

EDIT: After clicking Chrome and Norton360, it would take a couple of minutes before they would open up. When Norton360 finally opens it goes to some error page as seen above.

I'm panicking a bit so that is why I've written such an extensive post detailing everything.

Edited by ENova, 05 August 2013 - 01:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ENova

ENova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:14 AM

Was trying to edit by main post again, but I can't seem to find the edit button so I'll just make a new post.

I think my initial post is a bit lengthy and cluttered so...

Just some updates and clarifications:

-A notification saying "Failure to connect to Windows Service" now shows up after logging in and going to desktop.

-WhiteFlag Icon on the bottom right of the taskbar says "HomeGroup is sharing files" and has a black clock icon by it.

-Preview icons for documents and images in all folders are all blank. However, the documents and images are all accessible.

-After opening File Explorer, the Favorites, Libraries, and HomeGroup on the left all have a magnifying glass hovering over them. I can't seem to find My Computer on there either.

-Google Chrome takes 20 or 30 minutes to open (Have not uninstalled/reinstalled Chrome, thought it'd be best to leave things as default for now)

-Same thing with Norton360 and shows this error:

Norton 360
Error: 8504, 104
Windows 8
9200.16628.amd64fre.win8_gdr.130531-1504
Norton Autofix Results: 0 item(s)

Edited by ENova, 07 August 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:49 AM

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/au/home/current/solutions/v62545568_EndUserProfile_en_us

read here....possibly you have no protection at all at the moment.

When you have finished the process described there, you will be offered the opportunity to reinstall Norton.

You may choose to download and install one of the many Free antivirus'......eg..... Avira, Microsoft Security Essentials....Avast...

Get protected.    Run a scan with whatever you Install.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 ENova

ENova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hello Condobloke!

I just rechecked Norton360 this morning and it actually seems to be opening and functioning just fine now!

I'm not sure what prompted this, but I do recall that I left my laptop idle for awhile and when I got back Norton was performing quick scans, so I guess Norton is now active again.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

Any problems remaining?...{{Failure to connect to Windows Service}}....??

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/failed-to-connect-to-a-windows-service/837402c1-0c90-464b-9d26-57ead1e289d5?msgId=420a00d3-5d8b-446e-8ea0-935eda563924

Norton scan results?

Regards,

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 ENova

ENova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

Thanks Condobloke!

WELL, it seems I may have blown things may out of proportion haha

After seeing the question "Did you try restarting the computer?", I did a quick restart and BOOM everything is back to normal.

I've always been naive and thought that shutting down and turning on the laptop was essentially the same as restarting....

I should have just done a simple restart in the first place, now I look like a fool after seeing my initial post haha xD

Again thank you Condobloke for you providing the link, Much obliged!

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

My Pleasure !

and....much better to be Safe......rather than sorry.

Kind Regards,

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users