Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD RW Drive (E:) will not respond

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 YaBa

YaBa

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

I just noticed that when i put a movie, music or disk with pictures-dvd player does not respond.  All drivers are updated.  My system says it work-ha!   

I do have a slight other problem-will be fixed as soon i locate a battery-computer battery needs replacing. ? could low battery be the cause of this?

Have  Dell XPS 430   Vista    

any advice would be greatly appreciated,

YaBa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Have you tried going into the Device Manager and uninstalling the drivers under DVD/CD-ROM?  If not do this, the drivers will be replaced the next time you restart this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 YaBa

YaBa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

hi Acrachbutyrophobia-long name!

I uninstalled the driver under DVD/CD-ROM, then restarted computer.  The driver did indeed re-install,   I then tried to play a movie, music  and again nothing. I then went to my computer to C drives.  The  E:  drive was missing. I then did a system restore -  and now i have my E: drive back.  still, nothing works.  

I have a Dell XPS 430   windows vista.  64 bit system   

Kent

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

By doing the System Restore you have reverted the driver back to its previous state.  Try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver again.

What program are you using to play this disc?

Is this a pressed disc or one which you burned?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 YaBa

YaBa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

hello,   

I did uninstall and reinstalled the driver again, plus  the (E:) does show up at my computer.  Still, does not work.    Program?  are you talking about windows media player? if so, I do have this.  

both pressed disc and ones that I have burned do not work.  I did try  microsoft windows  Mr Fix it.  I could not get past an error message saying; Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services BootStrapp has stopped working.  A  problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify if a solution is available.   

I did this about a week ago-never heard from Microsoft.  

Kent

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

Is there another computer that you can try this optical drive in?

#7 YaBa

YaBa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

no, this is the only computer I own.  

kent

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

Do you have a friend or associate who would let you try this drive on their computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users