Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE extremely slow & freezing/locking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#46 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 37,952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hi Tammy,

Are you still with me?

Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#47 tmd598

tmd598
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

Yes! Sorry. I wanted to try Firefox several times without the add-ons to see if it would act up every time. And it does, after being used a while, doesn't seem like it's as soon as with IE.  It locks up ("not responding") then I get the white screen of death. Then I wait and wait to close it.  Seems a bit worse when I have more than one tab open. That's probably another reason it took me a while to answer: I get so frustrated at all the time I just sit there waiting for it to respond that I just have to walk away and leave the computer for a period of time. Grrr!

#48 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,952 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hi Tammy,

Let's clean out some temporary files. Please do this.

===================================================

Temporary File Cleaner (TFC)

--------------------
  • Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop.
  • Close any open windows
  • Double click the TFC icon to run the program
  • TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run
  • Click the Start button to begin the process
  • Allow TFC to run uninterrupted
  • The program should not take long to finish it's job
  • Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine, if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean
NOTE: It's normal for the computer to boot more slowly the first time after running TFC

TFC will clear out all temporary folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, Java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. TFC only cleans temporary folders and will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies

Things I would like to see in your next reply. Please be sure to copy and paste
  • How is your computer running?

Gary

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#49 tmd598

tmd598
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

Okay, I don't know what's wrong but I've tried this three times and it wouldn't work.  The program opens and appears to start and then doesn't do anything.  Then it locks up my computer and I can't close out and I have to actually turn the computer off to get out of it.

Here's what happens:  it downloads and opens fine. I click Start.  The desktop disappears as it says it's supposed to.  In the white box it says "Getting User Folders", then below that "Stopping Running Processes".  After that, nothing.

You said it shouldn't take long for it to do its thing, so the first time I left it for maybe a half hour.  The second time I purposely left it for three hours just in case it was just gonna take a long time.  Then I got the bright idea, just in case, to try downloading it from Internet Explorer instead of Firefox.  Yeah, no difference.

I did notice at the very top of the screen it says "You MUST be logged on as an administrator to use this utility".  Would that make a difference? (Although I didn't see anywhere to log on).

Help!

#50 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,952 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

Hi Tammy,

Please try to run the program in Safe Mode.
Gary

#51 tmd598

tmd598
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hi Gary,

It worked fine in Safe Mode, and cleaned out the temp files. I've been on Firefox for a bit now, been on Facebook and scrolling alot, and it hasn't locked up.  Now I feel like I can't trust it though! :unsure:  Can I have another day to work on it and make sure before we pronounce it okay? My time is limited tonight and I need to get in bed. Thanks!

P.S. Should I try IE again, or do you think that's just a lost cause and I should stick with Firefox?

#52 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,952 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

Hi Tammy,

I agree that we need to give it at least a day to make sure everything is OK. Feel free to try IE again, you never know.
Gary

#53 tmd598

tmd598
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hi Gary,

Well I gave Firefox a pretty good workout yesterday, paid some bills, went to different sites, and spent some time on Facebook, and it behaved very well.    I tried IE just to see and while it behaved better than previously I could tell it was going to have issues eventually.  Anyway, I think we're good to go - what do you think? Anything else we should do?

Thanks!

Tammy

#54 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,952 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

Hi Tammy,

If you can live with Firefox I think we should throw in the towel with IE.

I would like to run a couple of final scans to catch any leftovers. Please run these for me.

Rerun Malwarebytes (MBAM)

--------------------

Temporarily disable your antivirus program.
  • Please locate your Malwarebytes icon 1208__malwarebytes.png and launch the program
  • Malwarebytes will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • Under the Scanner tab, make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • When finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box, then click the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked and then click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.
Note: If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

ESET Online Scanner

--------------------

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan This process may may take several hours, that is normal.
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Copy and paste the information in your next reply. (If no malware was found you will not be presented with a log).
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

Things I would like to see in your next reply. Please be sure to copy and paste the information rather than send an attachment. :thumbsup2:
  • Malwarebytes results
  • ESET results (no log if nothing found)
  • How is your computer running now?

Gary

#55 tmd598

tmd598
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

Gary, here is the Malware Bytes log, I still need to do the other scan, will post that after it's done.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.09.16.05

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
Tammy Drury :: TAMMYDRURY [administrator]

9/16/2013 10:37:33 AM
mbam-log-2013-09-16 (10-37-33).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 262233
Time elapsed: 29 minute(s), 41 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 2
C:\Documents and Settings\Tammy Drury\My Documents\Downloads\Firefox_Setup(1).exe (PUP.Optional.IBryte.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Tammy Drury\My Documents\Downloads\Firefox_Setup.exe (PUP.Optional.IBryte.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

#56 tmd598

tmd598
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

There was no log produced with the ESET scan; it said "no threats found".

#57 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,952 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

That is what we like to see!

Any remaining issues (besides IE)?

Gary

#58 tmd598

tmd598
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

No, at this point Firefox is behaving normally. Just hope that continues!

#59 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,952 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

Greetings Tammy,

I think you will be fine with Firefox. It looks like our time together has come to an end.

Now that your computer is running well it is my great pleasure to proclaim to you the Good News!

All Clean

--------------

Your machine appears to be clean. You can remove any of the programs or logs on your system as a result of our efforts together. Please take the time to read below on how to secure the machine and take the necessary steps to keep it clean :thumbsup:

Lawrence Abrams, the founder of BleepingComputer.com, has developed an excellent tutorial which will provide you with the information you need to know to keep your computer secure and clean. Please take the time to read:In addition, here are some more links you might find of interest:I will leave this topic open for just a couple of days in case you have any further issues then it will be closed shortly thereafter.

Thank you for placing your trust in BleepingComputer. It was a pleasure serving you. OhMy_done.gif
Gary

#60 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,952 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users