Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old iMac will not access 192.168.1.1 but does access 192.168.2.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vicman

Vicman

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a probem with a friend's (old) iMac running OS X 10.4.11, his router was hit by electrical surge. The modem, router were replaced by local provider. The router ip is 192.168.1.1 but can not connect to this wifi after hit. I was able to connect it to my secondary wi-fi which is 192.168.2.1 (belkin router). If I try to connect it to my primary wi-fi (linksys) 192.168.1.1 it fails. I have cleared all preferred networks from preferences\network\airport\preferred networks. I believed the ethernet got fried in the surge, since I have not live connection on primary or secondary wi-fi when using wired port. Airport will only connect to 192.168.2.1.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? and if so can you please give me some feedback to clear this connection issue. The iMac works great besides this issue. Hate to have him junk it...

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Is the WiFi setting in System Prefs set to use DHCP?

#3 Vicman

Vicman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:08 AM

Yes it is, I was thinking of reconfiguring the llinksys router to 192.168.2.1 hoping that may help!

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Yes it is, I was thinking of reconfiguring the llinksys router to 192.168.2.1 hoping that may help!

It certainly does not hurt to try.

Unless there is some sort of IP conflict with the new hardware, I am not sure why a power surge would cause problems with certain IP addresses, however. That seems strange to me...but it may just be me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users