Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello. I'm new. Best anti-virus/malware/spyware?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Panoply76

Panoply76

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to decide what security package I should get; either bought, for free or a combination of bought and free.  I'd very much appreciate someone who REALLY knows what they're talking about advising me as to my best course of action.

Thanks!

Panoply

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

:welcome:

This is what I tell folks who ask the question you have.

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use and your system. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is single no best anti-virus.

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Choosing a Firewall

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:10 AM

Best free anti-viruses: Avast! Free and Microsoft Security Essentials.
Best paid ant-viruses: Kasparsky, ESET NOD32 and BitDefender.
Best anti-malware: Malwarebytes PRO (the free version is still very good, but has no real time protection.
Best anti-spyware: Superantispyware (although not as good as Malwarebytes, some people like it a lot).

This list differs between people, but most would agree to it. Some other security programs which I like are Securia PSI and WinPatrol as they are rather useful. In the end it's up to what you like best, like quietman said, but not all programs are created equally.

Hope this helps and gives you more of an idea what to choose.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#4 Panoply76

Panoply76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

Thank you both very much.  Quietman, I understand your point completely and the fact of the matter is that my comfort level with technology is exceptionally low.  In fact, I think of it as a necessary (perhaps inescapable is a better word) evil.  This is, I am guessing, both a good thing and a bad thing re viruses etc.  Good in that I am more unlikely to get one as I use the computer much less than most, bad in that I am vulnerable to any I might attract than someone else.

Toffee, I am going to use your suggestions.  Thanks a million!

Panoply

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

BTW, I agree with xXToffeeXx.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

No problem, and glad that you now have an idea. One can never be too careful (also a paid anti-virus will give more features, but is not completely necessary if you don't want to pay as the free ones listed do a pretty good job) on the internet and to be honest, using your brain is probably one of your best protections you can have.

The list is partly own opinion, but also what the majority of the community would agree with. Gives it a nice all-around feel, without upsetting people. I'm always open to suggestions to improve it if anybody thinks a program is worthy.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users