Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

toshiba satellite a355d-s6921 dc jack replacement

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 purplehazeus

purplehazeus

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of trouble. I completely took apart my laptop to replace the dc jack. However, when it cam time to disconnect it from the mobo, I accidentally snapped to of the prongs. I have know idea how to remove them. It seems the other side may have been soldered on. I tried using my sodering iron (30watts), but it doesn't appear to have any effect. It's so frustrating because this is literally the last step,and inserting the replacement looks terribly easy. Does anyone have experience removing the jack from this board.Or know how powerful of asoldering iron I should use to remove the prongs.

Thank you so much for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

Those lugs are indeed solders to the motherboard.  To remove these you will need a desoldering tool, like the one shown at RadioShack.  I would also suggest purchasing a small bottle of solder flux, like the type shown here.  

When you heat up the soldered lug add a very small drop of flux to it, this will make the solder liquify a little more which will make it much easier to use the desoldering tool to remove the solder.  Take the desoldering tool and cock it so it is ready for use.  When the solder is liquified keep the soldering iron on the lug, place the tip of the desoldering tool against the solder and press the button on the desoldering tool to activate it.  You may need to repeat this.  Be very careful about overheating the traces (the surface which the lugs are soldered to) as you can damage them.

Once you have removed enough solder that you can attach a pair of hemostats or a small pair of needle nose pliers you should be able to reheat the solder and gently pull the lug out of the hole in the motherboard.  Once it is removed add another very small drop of flux, reheat the solder and use the solder sucker to remove the rest of the solder leaving the hole clean.

Edited by dc3, 04 August 2013 - 03:45 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 purplehazeus

purplehazeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Thank you for your response. i will atempt this and report my results

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users