Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 stuck at "starting windows" screen

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 varinder21011989

varinder21011989

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

today when i switched on my pc it got stuck at "starting windows" screen. i tried to boot it in safe mode it got stuck at "aswrvrt.sys" file.

I inserted windows 7 cd and through command prompt tried to run sfc / scannow but it said "system repair is pending". I also tried windows system repair it said "windows cant repair this pc". My windows is win 7 ultimate 64 bit service pack 1, my laptop acer aspire 5738 and i have avast free antivirus installed on my laptop. please help............

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

Try running chkdsk /r from the command prompt.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 varinder21011989

varinder21011989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

already tried but of no use

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,604 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

In order to keep from asking you to try something only to find that you have already done it, please post all that you have tried.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 varinder21011989

varinder21011989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

okay, i have tried :

safe boot

debugging mode

system restore

last known good configuration

hiren boot cd

avg rescue cd

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

Is Avast free your stand-alone ? If so, disable and see if you can boot normally. Have you ran a malware scan? Have you made any significant changes

to the system recently?

Regards..............

#7 varinder21011989

varinder21011989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

yes its the only antivirus i had installed since i had upgraded to windows 7..... thanx fr reply, guys plz help me.........

how can i disable avast? i had recently scanned my pc with avast rescue cd for virus but it found none........

guys you help me to once boot into my normal windows, i just need to copy some crucial data once...just once.... help would be greatly appreciated...

Edited by varinder21011989, 05 August 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#8 varinder21011989

varinder21011989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

and guys one thing more i would like to share that i regularly update my windows 7, and my antivirus and after every 20 days i scan my pc with antivirus, i hae my firewall enabled i also dont frequently visit any software downloading websites, so chances of my pc encoutering any virus, malwre, trojan etc. are remote...and again i would like to apprise you of the methods i have tried out since my pc failed to boot:-->

safe boot

debugging mode

sfc /scannow

chkdsk /r

windows system repair

system restore

hiren boot cd

avg rescue cd

avast rescue cd

last known good configuration

plzzz help.......

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,604 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

There is a tutorial here at Bleeping Computer for using your installation disc to run the Startup Repair.  I realize that you have already done this, but it is part of the process.  Once this is done the instructions will eventually take you the Command Prompt.  Use the Bootrec to repair the master boot record (MBR).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

#10 varinder21011989

varinder21011989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

i am gonna give it a try and reply you in 5 minutes....thanx fr replying sir...... i really appreciate it.......

#11 varinder21011989

varinder21011989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

i tried system restore command also but of no help... also tried bootrec /fixmbr and tried reboot but of no help....

#12 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

Try to uninstall Avast, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/avast-software-uninstall-utility/

Then try to boot normally.

Regards..............

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,604 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

Try to uninstall Avast, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/avast-software-uninstall-utility/

Then try to boot normally.

Regards..............

I doubt uninstalling AVAST! is going to make any difference since the attempt using the installation disc failed to repair the operating system.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,604 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Since we have pretty much run the gambit of repairs for the operating system let's look a the possibility of a hardware problem.

Most all hdd manufacturers have a diagnostic tool for their hdds.  I would like to run a scan on your hdd, but in order to provide you with a link I need to know who the manufacturer is.  To find out who this is you will need to remove the hdd to see the label.  This link will take you to a video hdd being removed from a 5738G.  One thing I will suggest is to touch something metal close at hand to discharge any static electricity, electrostatic discharges can damage components inside your computer.  Once you know who the manufacturer is post it here.

In the interim I would like you to run a scan on your RAM.

1) Please download the Memtest86 Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO file.

2) Unzip the downloaded memtest86 file.  You will need a program like 7-Zip to unzip this file.

3) Inside, you will find the memtest86 file.

4) Please download and install ImageBurn.

5) Insert blank CD into your CD drive.

6) Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

7) Click on the Browse for a file... icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

8) Locate the memtest86 file, and click on the Open button.

9) Click on the blue arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

10) Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.  

Please note:  It may be neccessary to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd second.

Each pass consists of 8 tests, it is suggested that you run at least 7 passes, this will take several hours, you may find it simpler to let it run overnight.  The longer you run the passes the more comprehensive the results will be.

If you are running multiple modules and have a failure, remove all but one module and test it separately, continue this with each module till you find the one that failed.  

When you discern that a module is good, use it to test each slot to be sure there isn't a problem with one of them.

When the test is complete a display similar to the one below will appear.  Note the locations of the Pass and Errors, any Error is indicative of a failed module.

memtest1_zps7be717f5.png

#15 varinder21011989

varinder21011989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

how can i uninstall avast since i am not able to boot in safe mode, let alone normally.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users