Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgotten password Windows XP-Pro

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Gene_L

Gene_L

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

Greetings:

I have inherited a Dell Latitude E5500 laptop. It was previously used in a business environment.  The person who gave it to me did not know the password and there is no way I can get it. I tried "Log In to My PC Now", which I had successfully used before on a personal computer, but with this business laptop, I was not able to erase passwords like I was able to do with the personal computer. 

I'm thinking my only option left is to buy and install a new operating system via boot-to-disk which I assume will wipe clean the old Windows XP-Pro. Yes? No?

Thanks for your attention.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

You can try booting into the built in Administrator account by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the Welcome screen. By default it has no password. From there, go to Control Panel, User Accounts and change the passwords or create yourself a new account and delete the others.

<removed forum rules violation section>

EDIT 2: added twice to CTRL-ALT-DEL section.

Edited by .X., 04 August 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

.X.  There is a Forum Rule which should be observed.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Gene_L  I'm not familiar with boot-to-disk.  But if you wish to overwrite the hdd a good program for this is Darik's Boot and Nuke

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

OK thanks. I'll remove the section about doing it with 3rd party tool. MS themselves recommend the first procedure in a KB article so I'll leave that.

RE: "boot-to-disk", Gene is referring to boot from CD.

Edited by .X., 04 August 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Thank you .X.  :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

.X.: yes, boot-to-cd is what i meant.

I tried the clt-alt-delete at the welcome screen but it didn't display an Admin log-in screen. After I view and check "OK" on a dialogue box stating I agree to the company terms regarding use/emails,  I did eventually get a log-in screen and I have tried "Admin" and "Administrator" as the user and "password", "admin", and no password but doesn't work.  Keeps telling me I need a valid user/pw to log on.  I will  go to the Microsoft website and try to find the KB you reference.  Thanks for your help !

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

I'm sorry. It's CTRL-ALT-DEL twice. I'll correct my post if I still can.

Here is the Microsoft KB article...

How to log on to your Windows XP-based computer if you forget your password or if your password expires

#8 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

I tried clicking clt-alt-del twice and I tried the suggestions on the MS website you referenced but to no avail.  I suspect it is because of "security" on this business laptop which is preventing me from succeeding.  Thanks again. 

#9 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

You're welcome. Good luck installing the new OS! If it's not going to be XP or Linux, first check if your computer is compatible with any of the new offerings from MS.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows

Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant

You also need to check if there are drivers available for those systems.

Also, I've found that these tools are a little generous. You need at least a dual core or quad core and plenty of ram to run these systems smoothly. A PC with only the minimum requirements will be slow as molasses.

Edited by .X., 04 August 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#10 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

Argh! What's wrong with me today? Gene if you read the email for my last reply, it had some errors. For Windows 7, it should be Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows, instead of the System Update Readiness Tool.

#11 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

Cuz I can't log onto the laptop, I can't use the MS tool to analyze but I think I am ok: it has 2GB of Ram with a empty slot which will take another 2GB (which I will install).  Intel Core 2 Duo; 2.00GHz; 250GB HD .  sound OK to  you?   Thanks again

#12 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, that should be fine.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

I would suggest that you go to a 64-bit operating system, no matter which you use.  The 32-bit operating system will only recognize 3 to 3.5GB of RAM.  If you are going to go with Windows 8 you will want at least 4GB of RAM.

Also, I've found that these tools are a little generous. You need at least a dual core or quad core and plenty of ram to run these systems smoothly. A PC with only the minimum requirements will be slow as molasses.

I'm using a six year old computer I built with an Athlon 3200+ single core processor with three GB of PC3200 RAM, and this computer is running very fast with Windows 7 Home Premium. B)

#14 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Win7 Home Edition is what I was thinking about.  So you suggest I go with the 64bit version as long as I will have 4GB of RAM?  Thanks.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

The advantage with the 64-bit operating system is that you will be able to use more than 3GB of RAM, this is the limitation of the 32-bit operating system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users