Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WOL Broadcasting/Unicasting Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JainFarstrider

JainFarstrider

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hello, this is my first post, but i'll try to be as clear as possible.

General: I need to implement the ability to Wake on WAN, but the terminal is having trouble starting from Unicasted Magik Packets.

What Works: The terminal will always WOL when recieving Magik Packets broadcasted locally over the subnet, and sometimes wakes when recieving unicasted packets either locally or remotely.

Tests Done: Using the monitor at the provided link, it has been determined that the terminal always recieves the packets (either broadcasted or unicasted and locally or remotely) and they are correctly formatted Magik Packets. Also, from a number of trials, it appears that the terminal has a much higher chance of waking from unicasted Magik Packets (either locally or remotely) if the packets are sent immediately after a shutdown.

Summary: Does anyone know if there is a way to get the terminal to consistently accept wake commands from a Unicasted Magik Packet?

Relevant Hardware: Asus p7p55d

Solutions That Will Not Work: Router is not capable of forwarding incoming packets to subnet as a bypass to the problem.

Link: http://www.depicus.com/downloads/WakeOnLanMonitor.zip

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JainFarstrider

JainFarstrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Alright, I guess this means this isn't possible, thanks to anyone who thought about helping.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:32 AM

Are you trying to send WOL from the internet to turn on a pc?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 JainFarstrider

JainFarstrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:18 AM

Yes, that is what I am trying to do, sorry if that wasn't clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users