Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Separate Boot Menu without entering the BIOS?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 videobruce

videobruce

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

I haven't upgraded since 2007 or so. After doing my usual ton of research, I have a questions about the availability of a separate Boot Menu outside the BIOS allowing changing boot order with entering into the BIOS itself.

I understand pressing F8 is suppose to bring up some type of a Boot menu. Does anyone know if any MB's have a separate Boot Menu that can be made available by a BIOS choice?

My nForce 570 Foxconn does have this and I must admit I'm now spoiled by having it.

Attached Files

Edited by videobruce, 04 August 2013 - 09:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

I haven't upgraded since 2007 or so.

What haven't you updated?

I understand pressing F8 is suppose to bring up some type of a Boot menu.

F8 open the Advanced Boot Options.

In order to be of help I need to know what operating system you are running.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Are you trying to boot from two different operating systems?

Edited by dc3, 04 August 2013 - 01:05 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

I'm running XP now, but have succumbed to switching over to Win7 unfortunately due to hard ware concerns. All drives will probably use the same. I do this for backup in case one drive gores down or for access to system folder files if I get a virus. Done it for years. (Each drive has a bootable partition).

This is what I have now from a nForce570 Foxconn MB. It comes up without pressing buttons which is really nice.

Attached Files

Edited by videobruce, 05 August 2013 - 06:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users