Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell D520 doesn't power on

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fgibson1911

fgibson1911

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

Good morning,

Excuse me if this is in the wrong part of the forums, but I am new here and just seeing if I can get some suggestions.

I have a Dell D520.  This is a salvaged machine with no hard drive installed.  When plugged into AC power and the power button is

pressed, I get a green power light and three green activity lights next to the power button.  Immediately after these lights come on, they go out and only the power light and the 3rd light from the power button stays on....this is the light that looks like a padlock. 

Nothing else happens.  The system beeped twice at me and than nothing.

suggestions?

Thanks

Frank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

Well, for a start, you can get the manuals for the D520 from here :

http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/en/19/Product/latitude-d520

The images I looked at are not terribly clear on the panel lights, but I would expect to find Power, HD, Wi-fi and Caps lock. since as you say there is no hard drive in the computer it's not surprising that you only have two lights showing since there is nothing to make the HD and Wi-fi lights work !

You should be able to get into the BIOS, or at least see the BIOS screen when you power up the computer since this is not stored on the hard drive. If you are seeing nothing on the screen then there may be video problems as well. To progress this, at the least you need a bootable CD but you have free rein here - virtually any flavour of any bootable operating system disc you can lay your hands on !  This should allow you to check out the basics of the computer.

To go any further you will need a hard drive. I see it shipped originally with a 100GB one, but it should accept a 250 or 500 GB quite happily.

It's up to you how much time, effort and money you are willing to put into this Dell. Just remember - there is probably a good reason it was scrapped in the first place - and Good Luck !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users