Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 startup-repair error..

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sat_raj

sat_raj

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

Hello,

I am having Dell XPS Laptop for 18 months with windows 7 home premium 64bit , I'm having a problem with startup-repair,I don't know why,but it's trying to 'repair' my 'problems'. It run several times already  and I can't start windows.After it says that "Startup Repair cannot repair problem".if  I press finnish on the setup ,it shuts down and when I turn it on again,the setup appeares once again,even if I choosed to "Start Windows normally". Even i tried to use safe mode but its not working.i never had nay problm with my laoptop inclast 18 months.
Any help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Hi sat_raj

There are several avenues that can pursued but I would start with the following:

Try a Fix MBR. To do this, press the F8 key at the Dell Logo on startup, select repair my computer, select your keyboard layout and language, click on your user name and sign in, at the System Recover options, click on command prompt, enter the following bootrec.exe /FixMbr and press Enter. If successful, you should be greeted with the message The operation completed successfully. Then type bootrec.exe /FixBoot and press enter, after this completes restart your computer.

You can also access the System Recovery Options using the Windows Disc, put in the disc, turn on computer, press the F12 key at the Dell logo, select cd/dvd and press enter. This will start the CD, when it comes to the screen to Install Now, do not click on that, but click on Repair my computer, on the left bottom corner to access the System recovery options.

Regards............

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

Even i tried to use safe mode but its not working.

When you use the F8 key are you able to access the Advanced Boot Option?  

abow7_zpsc072f26e.png

If you cannot access the Advanced Boot Options or use the Repair option you will need a Windows 7 disc as skntired has suggested.  Your computer came with a recovery partition, so you weren't provided with a disc from Dell.  The good news is that you can download a legal copy at the Windows 7 Forums.

Once the ISO file is downloaded you will need to burn it to a DVD.  I prefer using ImgBurn to do this, you can find a good tutorial for doing this here.

In order to boot from this disc you may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the DVD/CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd second.

To boot from this disc place it in the DVD drive and close the tray, then restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 sat_raj

sat_raj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hello skntired/dc3,

Thanks for your all help, as suggested i tried running "bootrec.exe /FixMbr" it said sucessful and greeted with the message "The operation completed successfully". Then type bootrec.exe /FixBoot for this also it said "The operation completed successfully". i restarted but no luck...

I Tried to boot from windows DVD, its asking for installation .. there is no option for repair..

or

shall i reinstall.. please suggest

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

Please follow this instructions in the tutorial below.

How to use the Windows 7 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 sat_raj

sat_raj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

Thanks again, i tried this but no luck still i have same problem..

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

What occurred when you followed the instructions?

#8 sat_raj

sat_raj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:02 AM

When i  boot from CD/DVD i selected "Repair your computer option" and i followed the instructions...

in "Command Prompt option i did followed below instructions.

Type REG LOAD HKLM\TempSoft :\Windows\System32\config\software and press Enter to load the Registry hive.

when i did as above  it said " the operation completed successfully"

Type regedit.exe and press Enter to start the Windows Registry Editor.

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TempSoft\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon key within the Registry Editor.

Double-click on the Userinit value and change the data to read :\Windows\system32\userinit.exe,

Exit the Windows Registry Editor.

Type REG UNLOAD HKLM\TempSoft and press Enter to unload the Registry hive.

when i did as above  it said " the operation completed successfully"

Type exit and press Enter on your keyboard and then reboot your computer.

After this i restarted and changed the boot order from CD/DVD to hard drive and restarted,,,

but the problem persists ...

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

When you reach the System Recovery Options click the Command Prompt and type in chkdsk /r and press Enter.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

After this is finished reboot and see if this resolves the issue.  If not go back to the Command prompt and run sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type in cmd in the Search programs and files.

cmd will appear in Programs above, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.   

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.  

A page similar to the one below will open.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.

If the scan finds no problem in the first portion of the scan it may stop, if it does not restart within five minutes type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

#10 sat_raj

sat_raj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

when opened command prompt it was showing  X:\SOURCES, so i chaned the drive to D drive and ran the  chkdsk/r

I receieved the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.   CHKDSK may run this volume is dismounted first-

ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOULME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.

would you like to force a dismount on this voulme?<Y/N>".

please suggest

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Remove any USB devices.  Go to the Search programs and files and type in diskmgmt.msc , when it appears above the search box click on it.  See what drive letters show in there.  The C: drive is usually the drive with the operating system on it, the D: drive usually is a optical drive.

#12 sat_raj

sat_raj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

Thanks a lot for your help dc3, after running "sfc /scannow" my with windows 7 is fixed.

now iam able to use my laptop.

But after scan it said "it was unable to fix some of the corrupt files" ..

is there any way to fix them also..

Thanks again for your all help..

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

Try running the sfc /scannow again, sometimes it will take several scans for it to complete the repair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users