Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns off randomly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cjb295

cjb295

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 18 November 2004 - 11:19 AM

Hi, I'll start with a brief description of my PC. It's a 2400XP with a 400W Q-tec PSU, running Win2K with SP4. I've got ZA free, AVG free, spywareblaster, spywareguard, adaware and spybot as well.

My PC was running fine until a wire stopped the fan from turning, and the CPU overheated a couple of times, and hence turned itself off after an audible alarm. I've sorted this out, and set the fan speed to max, but the PC now regularly turns off with no alarm. It even does it when I use a floppy boot disc and leave it at the A prompt!! Most of the time it turns off after about a minute, but occasionally it will run for a few hours.

Please can anyone suggest where I should look to sort out this problem, as it's driving me mad?

Many thanks in advance, Chris.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 18 November 2004 - 11:34 AM

Sounds like a hardware problem. Could be the Power Supply or an issue with the Mother Board. Or you may have fried the CPU or a memory chip.

I would replace the Power Supply first and then if that doesn't fix it, test the Memory chips to see if they have any errors.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 11 December 2004 - 10:40 PM

When that was happening to me, it turned out to be Windows had decided to run it's debugging for me. Needless to say, I left a pile of hair on the floor near my computer desk. :thumbsup: about halfway through - Nov 7th f'wd
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:18 PM

I would say a power supply or heating issue.

Just like in a car, if you run it for long with a leak in the radiator (in your case, the fan stopped running), you heat components up higher then normal. In time, they almost get used to the heat, and adjust to the best of its ability, until it shuts down. When you repair the component, it does not understand what you have done, after being used to the hot conditions. In a vehicle's situation, you could get a cracked head (yep, first hand on that one), but on a computer, it will just shut down.

I would replace the power supply first, and then if you are still having problems, look into other fixes.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:50 PM

I thought so too. I was wrong in my case, though. Check your event viewer before you go too far is all I'm suggesting. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users