Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't see Vista computer on home network

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 craigsiegel

craigsiegel

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:34 AM

I now have my windows Vista Dektop computer fixed to the point where the firewall is allowing it to see the other computers on my home network. (I had two missing registry files as a result of a nasty virus I contracted some months ago.) The problem is that neither of the other computers -- a mac running OS X and a windows laptop running Windows 8 -- can see the Vista computer, although they can see each other. For example, on the laptop when I click on Network, all I see is the Mac.

I have checked all the settings I can think of and haven't been able to resolve the issue. The Vista computer is running Windows Firewall and Microsoft Essentials. File and printer sharing are allowed and there is a firewall exception to allow file and printer sharing. The homegroup network is set up as Private with no password required. The Windows 8 laptop is unfortunately running Norton since it came preloaded on the computer. But even when I turn off the Norton firewall, it still can't see the Vista computer.

Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

Are all systems part of the same workgroup?

Check the settings, please :).

Louis

#3 craigsiegel

craigsiegel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

Yep. I made sure that all computers have the same workgroup name, the very clever name -- HomeGroup. It isn't case sensitive, is it?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

To be honest...I don't know anything about the 3 O/Ses you mention...but I do have networking established between XP and Win 7 (Win 7 and Vista networking should be similar) and there are some quirks that I had to work around.

I suggest you await some input from a Vista user here :).

Louis

#5 craigsiegel

craigsiegel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

Aha. I can now see Vista computer. Had to change all the workdgroup names to all caps. But now I get a message on the Windows 8 computer that it can't access the device. Hm, now what?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

Try the Windows 8 forum here at BC for that one :).

Louis

#7 craigsiegel

craigsiegel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

OK. But doesn't this appear to be something related to the Vista computer? Both the windows 8 computer and the MAC can see the Vista computer but cannot access it.

#8 craigsiegel

craigsiegel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

I am closing this thread since my situation has progressed pretty far...although I still can't connect to the vista computer from the others. I have a few more things to try and, if they don't work I'll start a new thread. Thanks.

#9 craigsiegel

craigsiegel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

OK, starting a new thread since I have made significant progress on my problem, but…… after nearly two weeks of troubleshooting I still cannot access the Vista computer on my home network. Here is the setup. I have a Vista desktop, a Windows 8 laptop and a Macbook on a home network. The Vista computer can see and access the others. The Win 8 and Mac can see, but cannot access the Vista. The Win 8 and Mac and access each other, so it would appear that the problem is with the Vista.

When I try to access the Vista computer I get an error --  Error Code 0x80070035 The network path was not found. I can ping the Win 8 from the Vista, but cannot ping the Vista from the Win 8 using the ip address or computer name. The request simply times out. Turning off all firewalls temporarily had no effect.

Here is all the relevant data I can think of for the PCs:

Vista Home Premium 32-bit, running Windows firewall and Microsoft Essentials. It connects to Actiontec PK5000 DSL gateway router over Ethernet.

Windows 8 64-bit, running Norton Internet Security (it came with it). It connects to router over wireless.

All computers are on workgroup named HOMEGROUP (all caps).

Windows firewall has Network discovery, File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing and Printer Sharing enabled.

Password protected sharing is NOT enabled.

It is set up as a Private network.

Both computers have NetBios over TCP/IP enabled for IPV4.

Enabled sharing of C: drive on Vista.

Remote Access is enabled on Vista (network advanced settings).

The same usernames have been set up on both computers, though with different permissions. (Admin on one is regular user on the other.)

Routing and Remote Access service is running on Vista. (The dependent Remote Access Connection Mgr. service was disabled so had to be restarted.)

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

Merged posts into one topic to avoid confusion in 2 topics

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 craigsiegel

craigsiegel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

Under Manage Network Connections -- The Link Layer topology entries are both checked for the Local Area Connection icon . But I noticed that on the Incoming Connections icon, in the Users tab none of the user entries are checked. And on the Networking tab, TCP/IPv-4 is checked but not TCP/IPv-6. Do I need to do something on either of these tabs?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

I hope you aren't expecting me to answer questions about Vista...as I previously stated, I don't know anything about Vista.

If the Vista users here wake up...you may get some answers to your queries.

Louis

#13 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

Do you have the Network icon on your desktop?

I have a WinXP desktop, Vista laptop and a Windows 8 laptop and they all show in Network and I can access all files and folders apart from Windows and Program Files.

I does make a different if the workgroup is in UPPERCASE just make sure they are all the same.

To access any files or folders you will need to set permissions in the folder properties just make a new user Guest so it can read and write.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#14 craigsiegel

craigsiegel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

Working my way through the zillion  things that can go wrong on a home network.....

One thing I came across was a note saying to try changing a registry key from 0x3 to 0x1. The key was specified as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Current Control Set\Control\LMCompatibility. I think the folder the note meant was KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Current Control Set\Control\LSA, but I don't have an LMCompatibility key in either folder. Can anyone comment on this?

And..... all of the computers on the network (as far as I can tell) are members of the Workgroup HOMEGROUP (all caps to avoid possible problems). I shared the C; drive on the Vista computer but didn't pay much attention to the permissions. But since I cannot ping the Vista computer, do I need to worry about folder permissions at this point?

Edited by craigsiegel, 09 August 2013 - 12:08 AM.

#15 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Well all my computers are on WORKGROUP as some computers like Win7 and Win8 have a HOMEGROUP option. Just change them all to WORKGROUP and see it that works.

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2013 - 11:15 AM.
Fixed subscript accidentally enabled - Hamluis.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users