Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I do the following safely ? (relates to making a partition active)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 power2084

power2084

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:03 AM

Hello,

My mom's computer has a serious problem and won't boot.

Here are the details:

The hard disk is 500GB, 1st partition which has Windows installed is 155 gigs.
2nd Partition is 310 gigs and is currently empty (no files in it).

The problem here is that because of a mistake I made, the 2nd partition (the one with no files) is now the ACTIVE partition. So Windows won't boot and I get a "NTLDR is missing" error.

I've tried a few ways to make the other partition back to active, so far without success. So the solution I'd like to try now is the following, and I want to know if it's safe or not: take a look at this screenshot first:

http://s2.postimg.org/4fezaciex/Partition_active.jpg

So what I've done is plug my mom's hard disk on my computer. Now, using the Disk Management tool, I can set the 1st partition (O: , which contains Windows) as active, and make (M: ) not active anymore.

My question is, if I do that while her hard disk is plugged on my computer, can it cause problems by making the currently active partition on my computer not-active anymore ? Can I end up with boot problems on my own computer, even after I disconnect her hard disk ??

Thanks for helping !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:54 AM

Hi

There is a little risk in doing that. I suggest using free Partition Wizard Home for doing that.

:step1: Download Partition Wizard bootable ISO from the below link.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

Burn it to a blank CD.

:step2: Reconnect the hard drive to your mom's PC. Now boot from the CD and use it to mark the correct partition as Active.

nookhd2.jpg

#3 power2084

power2084
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:17 AM

Thank you ! I don't have any blank CD left, I used the last one a month ago. Can I burn the Partition wizard ISO to a DVD instead ?

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:22 AM

Hi

Yes, you can use a DVD instead.  While burning, use the option Burn image to disc.

You can use Imgburn to write ISO files.

http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe

#5 power2084

power2084
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Sensational. I'll try all that, I'll keep you informed of the results ! Thanks !

Visit this thread again for an update   :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users