Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help, I just got this laptop today. BSOD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jinkking

jinkking

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

A very good friend of mine from out of state purchased a G73J Asus off Ebay a week and a half ago for me. It just came in today. When I turned it on, it booted up perfectly, in less than one minute, I was presented with a desktop that only had a trashcan, a few of the normal 'Solve PC issues: 3 Important Messages' and three icons on the taskbar.

I installed Aim and within two minutes I experienced my first blue screen. The number I managed to grab was

Software Exception: 0x000071e

My first thought of dread was 'oh bleep, it's the motherboard or memory or hard drive or some bleep. bleep.'

But it booted up just fine and I managed to get Skype and Firefox installed and running. Everything was going swell, and then my friend asked to watch my screen as I personalized my desktop. So I set up Skype Screen Share-BSOD.

It did this three more times as I tried various things - booting up in Safe Mode with Networking, Downloading Avast, attempting skype screen share (again, in delusional hopes it was all just poopery).

It's done a disc check, and rebooted. I still can't download Avast, and I am entirely unable to boot up through safe mode-which is making me think more and more that there is a virus on this laptop-which was why it was sold in the first place. Making this highly frustrating for me since I need this laptop for work.

Another thing to note is, I tried downloading Windows Update and the wireless threw a fit. I tried shutting down from the start menu and it gave another fit.

Some other numbers I gleaned off the blue screen:

Stop: 0x00000050
0xFFFFF800A4AEC78
0xFFFFF80002DA1CF5

0x0000007e

Someone suggested ComboFix (which I attempted before even coming here) and it BSOD right in the middle of the scan. So I have a very huge inkling this was infected when it sold to us. I haven't had this laptop 6 hours and it's become a massive headache.

I just got the laptop and powercord. No discs.

I had a long day at work and was genuinely looking forward to sitting down and booting up my new computer to start drawing. Not dealing with a tempermental system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:06 AM

Hi

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer forum.

Please don't use advanced tools like Combofix unless asked by a trained malware helper. It may render your system unbootable. 

Please follow the below steps to collect the basic data needed for analyzing the reason behind the crashes.

:step1: Upload the crash dumps for analysis

Open C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Copy and  zip the entire contents of that folder and upload for inspection. You can either attach the zipped dumps in next reply or upload  to any free file hosting site of your choice. You may have to disable User Account Control if you encounter permission error while copying the dumps.

Example file hosting sites :

Post the download link to the dumps in next reply.

:step2: A Minitoolbox log

Download Minitoolbox from the below link.

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

-List last 10 Event viewer errors
    -List installed programs
    -List devices
    -List users, partition and memory size

Now click "Go" and post the output in next reply 

:step3: Speccy report about your system

Generate a report about your system using Speccy by reading the guide below. Make sure to run the Speccy after running the system about one or more hour. This will give us an indication of current CPU -GPU temperature status.

Post the web link displayed by Speccy in next reply.

#3 jinkking

jinkking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:28 AM

Crash Dumps: https://app.box.com/s/dcs0jrgs43eycx3194ij

MiniToolbox Results: https://app.box.com/s/61ako9suilgt25rbhh5o

It crashed on Speccy, I'll try again in a second.

And thank you, yeah I saw the notice on your Forum about Combofix. I'd used it before coming here, so it was like 'never do that again'

Edited by jinkking, 04 August 2013 - 01:29 AM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:47 AM

Hi

Thanks for providing the dumps and logs. I will keep you posted after analyzing those. In the meantime, try to get that Speccy snapshot. 

#5 jinkking

jinkking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:51 AM

Got that Speccy. Here's what it had to say.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vqbC4gFVxUupE4l0RKH04hV

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:03 AM

Hi

Just completed analysing the dumps you posted. All our dumps shows different stop codes and most of them blames Windows kernel as the reason behind the crash. There are no problematic drivers can be seen in your system. So far, i suspect a hardware issue, especially memory.

Please follow the below steps to thoroughly test the system memory for errors.

:step1: Download Memtest86+

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip

:step2: Burn the ISO to a blank CD using Imgburn

http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe

:step3: Boot from the CD and the test will start immediately. You should run at least 8 passes for an accurate result. This will take several hours to complete so you can leave the system while running the test or run the test at over night. Since it is a laptop, make sure the adapter is plugged while the test is running.You can stop the test either when it complete eight passes or when there are errors shows on the Errors column.

Following video will show you how to run the test.

This is how a memory error looks like :

memtest-error.png

Report whether the test detect any errors in next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 04 August 2013 - 04:05 AM.

#7 jinkking

jinkking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:12 AM

I ran the test and there was nothing BUT red. Just a giant wall of it. It seemed like everything was in the red.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

Hi

That means you got a memory issue. It could be either a faulty RAM module or a faulty memory slot in the motherboard. We need an isolation test to find out the real culprit. Please follow the below steps.

:step1: Disconnect the adapter and battery from your laptop.

:step2: Now remove the small bottom cover to access the memory modules. If you are in doubt, please refer this official guide :

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/475907-asus-g73-series-disassembly-guide.html

:step3: Carefully remove the first module and leave the second module plugged. Now run the memtest. Stop the test when either you see red line or it complete eight passes.

:step4: Now unplug the currently plugged one and insert the other module to the same slot. Repeat the memory test. If you are getting errors with only a specific module, that one will be faulty. keep it unplugged and check how the system works.

Report your findings in next reply. 

#9 jinkking

jinkking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

Okay, I had three memory chips in my harddrive, and I pulled out all but one, and ran tests on them.

Everything is running smoothly now, it turned out the one with eight black squares was the bad chip. The other two are running fine. Computer is just a tad laggy now, but I'm testing to see how much I can do at one time so that would probably be why.

Currently I'm on 4GB of RAM, and everything's good.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hi

That is good to know. There are also software issues in your system.  You are using a vanilla version of Windows 7 without service pack 1. It is required for security, performance and reliability. So either download and install the SP1 or do a clean install with a SP1 media. Since the laptop is a used one, i prefer a clean install which also rule out any possible malware infection.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/install-windows-7-service-pack-1

If you are planning to buy a new memory module, make sure it will match the specification of existing modules. Buying a new 8GB  memory kit and replacing all existing modules is highly recommended. Corsair and OCZ sells RAM kits which are best for dual channel operation.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 04 August 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#11 jinkking

jinkking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

Oh! okay, thank you! I'll get that installed right away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users