Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My hard drive died, can I replace it with any hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 noobpc

noobpc

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:59 PM

I have to replace my hard drive, however, I wonder if I can pick any rpm (5400 or 7200), size (lower or higher), brand, etc.

The only thing I know I should be careful is if i have a sata or ide. I am pretty sure it's a sata...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:00 AM

Hi

Yes, you can choose any brand and model. Higher RPM will give better "read/write" speed so i suggest getting a 7200 RPM drive. Some brands like Western Digital makes different version of hard drives witch are different in performance and power consumption- Green , Blue and Black.

green = low power / low performance
blue= medium power / medium performance
black = high power / high performance

If you prefer performance, go for a Western Digital Black series HDD.

#3 noobpc

noobpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:04 AM

Oh, good to know. Thanks.

What about the size? the one that died was 500 gb. Can i go with a 320gb?

Also, how can i be sure Im buying a hard drive for my desktop instead of one for a laptop?

Edited by noobpc, 04 August 2013 - 01:53 AM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:13 AM

The sizes are 2.5" HD for laptops and 3.5" for desktops. A lower capacity drive is ok as long as you kept the original installer discs and depending on the usage and budget. http://compreviews.about.com/od/storage/a/Desktop-Hard-Drive-Buyers-Guide.htm

Tekken

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

As noted by jhayz, if it is a drive for a desktop computer, then you will want what is referred to as a 3.5" hard drive. You can actually use a so-called "laptop drive" (aka 2.5" drive) in a desktop, but it requires an adapter typically to fit in the bay AND generally 2.5" drives are more expensive than similar capacity 3.5" drive.

Beyond that, you just need to make sure you know whether you need an IDE or SATA drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users