Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting to black screen Win7-64 home

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vettetax

vettetax

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

Hi I'm booting to a black screen with mouse cursor in Win7,  Any of the safe mode options yield the same result. I am able to bring up the system recovery options.  Unfortunately, system restore yields no restore points...seems extremely odd, and Startup Repair says it cannot make any repairs due to OsVersionMismatch...screen shot below.  Just prior to this I was having system lock-up issues.  Upon running chkdsk /f, the utility ran for several hours stating "Replacing invalid security ID with default security ID" for over 250,000 files. Any ideas?  

20130803_201958-2.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:52 AM

Hi

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer forum.

Your issue seems like a file system corruption which might be caused by a failing hard drive. I would run a hard disk health check first before attempting to do any repairs. Please post the brand of your hard drive (Seagate, Samsung , Hitachi etc ) and i will post the instructions to test it using Manufacturer's diagnostic tools.

If this is a branded PC or Laptop, please post the exact model number also.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 04 August 2013 - 12:52 AM.

#3 vettetax

vettetax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:08 AM

Thanks!  I hear good things from good people here :)

Yes I tried chkdsk /f and the command prompt.

HDD is WDC - WD5000AAKS-65A per the BIOS

PC is an HP model m9600t  product number KX745AV-ABA

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

Hi

Please try the below steps.

:step1: Download Western Digital Data Lifeguard diagnostics bootable CD image from the below link.

http://www.box.net/shared/gl0fifqgj4

:step2: Burn the ISO to a blank CD using Imgburn (preferred )

http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe

:step3: Boot from the CD and run an Extended test with it.

10qdxk7.gif

Report whether it detect any errors during the test.

#5 vettetax

vettetax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:05 AM

ISO burn was successful with ImgBurn,the  bootable CD-R loads and nothing happens...i just get a black screen...no program runs.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:38 AM

Hi

Enter in to the BIOS setup and change the SATA mode to IDE from AHCI . This will probably solve the black screen issue.

If that doesn't helps, try Seagate Seatool For DOS which can be used for surface scanning any manufacturer's hard drive.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Running a Long Test with it will catch any surface defects.

Some HP systems came with a built in diagnostics to test the hard drive and memory. I referred the manuals of your model but i am unclear whether your model does support that feature. Anyway, please try the below steps to check if the diagnostics is available.

1. Press Esc during power on to  bring the startup menu.

2. Press F2 to run the built in diagnostics.

#7 vettetax

vettetax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

Drive is in RAID mode....couldn't get the Western Digital diag to work.  Seagate worked though, with unfortunate results it seems:

Short DST FAILED
Long Test FAILED

20130804_081242.jpg

More results from the built-in HP diag:

20130804_082747.jpg

20130804_082205.jpg20130804_082215.jpg

Edited by vettetax, 04 August 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Hi

That is bad news !

As i suspected earlier, your hard drive surface developed bad sectors which is the reason behind the problem. I have seen many users doing the mistake of re-installing OS without checking the hard drive health status. From my experience, Windows will never failed to boot without a proper reason. 

I suggest replacing that HDD immediately. To rescue your data, try using a live Linux CD. For example, Puppy Linux.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

Boot from the CD and try to copy all the data to an external medium.

Edit :

Keeping a copy of all important data in an external medium is the safest way to protect data. If one of the drives failed, we will have a backup copy in the other drive. Also, splitting the drive and creating a separate partition for data storage is highly recommended. Bad sectors are usually developed within the C drive storage boundaries in 80% cases. (may be due to the continues read/write operations to the paging file ). 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 04 August 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#9 vettetax

vettetax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

Yup, I use Cabonite and Dropbox so lots of my personal stuff is immediately accessible...restoring all of my software will be another challenge.  Thank you for helping out!

Dan

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

Glad to be able to help  :thumbup2:

After replacing the hard drive and installing all your software, make sure to create a recovery image of your OS. This will greatly help you in future situations like this ( i sincerely hope you won't face an issue like this again ).

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/663-backup-complete-computer-create-image-backup.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users