Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ati Users: Cat Vs Omega

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

Any ATI users try Omega drivers instead of Catalyst?

I have gone back and forth. I have found that the Omega drivers seem to have better performance, but have less compatibility with games, especially older ones. But then, ATI seems to have quite a reputation for incompatibilities with games.

Generally I have few good comments to make about ATI's Catalyst drivers; there's something annoying about loading the latest release of the Cat drivers and getting a decrease in fps.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:47 AM

I ran an ATI radeon 9500 pro for about 2 years, and played roughly 12 games with it, all without flaw, using the catalyst drivers the entire time. I've got nothing but praise for the catalyst drivers.

I've used the omega drivers, but found that they didn't like a few games I was into at the time (I think Warcraft 3 and farcry if I remember correctly). Switched back to Catalyst drivers and had no issues.

If there was a gain in performance when I was using the Omega drivers, I didn't notice it, and neither did 3Dmark01 (got nearly the exact same score as I did when I had the catalyst drivers installed).

If you want more fps out of your radeon card, then I'd get an artic cooler for it an OC it a little bit, don't OC to much or you could muff up your card. Even if you don't want to OC it (and I can't blame you if you don't), I'd still get an aritc cooler (don't have to get that name brand) and install it. It will help keep the card cooler than the stock fan (assuming your card has a fan). If it doesn't have a fan, then you could always get a hurricane style fan to help keep it cool.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:38 AM

When I first tried the Omega driver a year ago or so, using my 9800 Pro, I gained about 10 to 12 FPS on the Source Stress Test when I switched from the Cat to the Omega driver.

This time around, using my X800 XT, I don't gain any FPS at all between the two drivers. So heh, who knows. Maybe the latest Cat driver was optimized as much as it could get.

I do have a fan card below the video card to force extra air in there. Seems to keep it cool and cruisin'. I doubt I will try overclocking it; I don't think it would improve overall system performance that much, really.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users