Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Suggestions for new Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DarthDooku

DarthDooku

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

I tried turning up the graphics in Civilization and my computer just couldnt handle it and the game was too laggy to play on just medium settings. Im thinking about getting a video card and was looking for some advice.

My computer specs are:
Dell Studio Slim 540s
Intel Quad Core 2.33 Ghz
4Gb RAM
running 64 bit Windows Vista

My Graphics Card:
ATI Radeon HD 3400
2Gb
PCI Express 2.0x16

Reccomended Specs for Civilization are:
1.8Ghz Quad
4Gb RAM
512Mb Graphics Card

So my specs are pretty much right on for reccomended settings, but like I said just turning the graphics up to medium settings completely lagged the game. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

first things first. does your slim case physically have the room for a dedicated graphics card? Next thing is next, does your power supply have the available wattage and sockets if the new card requires a six pin power connection. Last thing, what is the budget?

And. this Game Civilization, what is your desired pixel setting? the higher the setting, the budget gets higher. (last time i checked, most gamers are good at 1080p and most of the time any frame rate over 40 fps is adequate..)

I am not a gamer myself  ( my lame VisionTek HD5550 pegs the RPMs and Thermal Range when i play Missile Command and Pinball), but i know quite a few gaming PC enthisiasts. This topic is quite common here at BC. It is also a lucrative market to build for those guys, their pockets get very deep.

If you want advanced capability, the budget gets around 250-300 USD. If you really want no limits on your game potential, i would suggest an Nvidia 680 Ti or an AMD HD7950 with 3 GB gddr5 memory.  Also consider that your motherboard and CPU may limit your graphics ability.

But.. I am currently in hot PC romance with Crossfired Dual H I S IceQ HD7870.  Those two cards are so massive and.......oh well

Abe Froman

Chilli Prince of Cincinnati

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

What i have found is the system has a 250W power supply and you can only use low profile graphics card. The best graphics card you can get at a reasonable price is the Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 which will allow you to play Civilasation a medium smoothly.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 MasterBruce

MasterBruce

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:39 AM

You can have ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP) just for $60. I'd suggest you to go through user's reviews on graphics cards and get the ultra one. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users