Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Will Not Shut Down.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceWorm

SpaceWorm

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:36 PM

This problem started a few weeks ago. However, before this problem hit, I noticed that both the light and fan in my power supply would stay on even after the system was shut down. I didn't think much of it because everything still worked fine.

Then the problem hit. When I went to shut down my computer one night, windows would shut down, but then the system would restart instead of powering down. I took the quick fix of just switching off the power supply so that I could just get some sleep. The next morning, when I turned the power supply on, the system restarted three times before loading windows. When I finally got into windows, I had no internet access and the date was set as Jan 2, 2002. I managed to resolve this problem by replacing my CMOS battery and settign the date in BIOS. However, the system will still not power down when I try to shut it down. It just restarts. I've glanced through all the settings in BIOS and nothing seems out of place, but I honestly have no idea.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:18 PM

Windows XP? If so, see of either of the following help:

WINDOWS XP SHUTDOWN & RESTARTTROUBLESHOOTING
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

Troubleshooting Windows Shutdown Problems
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...s-Shutdown.html

#3 SpaceWorm

SpaceWorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:17 AM

Alright, I tried the so-called "band aid" solution of just unchecking the restart on system failure option, and the system will still restart after windows shuts down, so I'm pretty sure that means that it's not a windows issue. Right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users