Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Authentic icons for shortcuts-Mozilla confusing me?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

Hi Everyone!  I have about 8 shortcuts on my screen and they all are the generic Mozilla icon as I just dragged them over from the URL...I would love to have the authentic icons displayed instead and I just don't understand Mozillas  instructions(they certainly are not beginner friendly),I tried to follow and indeed ended up with the icon displayed but when I clicked on I saw that all I did was display a logo not a shortcut.....probably my lack of knowledge in saving files is a great stumbling block....can anyone explain this "how to'' in a very basic,step by step narrative(possibly with some photos).....I have Windows XP             Thanks so much and a great night to everyone!

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:03 AM

Are you trying to save images from Mozilla? It looks like they are HTML files instead of being jpg/png format files. To save images on websites (that are not copyright protected), right-click the image and choose 'save image as' then look for the save as type (should be jpeg/png/png). Save it to a location for example your desktop (on the left window click desktop) or create a folder e.g. Pictures.

Tekken

#3 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

Hi jhays, I'm not explaining myself adequetley....no,?okay,,,,,I have put a little shortcut on my desktop(screen)to get to BC readily....I dragged the BC icon from the address bar when I was logged on but it displays the Mozilla logo(blue & orange ball) and not the little blue computer,,,,How do I get it to display the BC logo?....Hope that is easier to understand with me being so computer illiterate.... Sorry,.Kwik

Edited by newbleeping, 04 August 2013 - 01:47 PM.

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

Let me see if I have this straight.  You are using Firefox as your browser and are keeping your favorite links on your desktop?

If this is the case please read the article at Mozzila Support regarding tabbed browsing.

Edited by dc3, 04 August 2013 - 02:13 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

Shortcut icons

This text is copied from the Mozilla Support site:

1. Go the webpage for which you wish to create a shortcut (for example,www.google.com)
  2. On the left side of the webpage address, you will see the Site Identity Button (see this image: Site Identity Button).
  3. Click on this button and drag it to your desktop.
  4. The shortcut will be created.

Using that method should provide you with the desired website icon, not Mozilla's.

Edited by TulsaRose, 04 August 2013 - 04:51 PM.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#6 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but that is what I do and the shortcut is there just fine but the Mozilla logo always remains?Mozilla does have a way of changing thier logo into the appropriate one for the site you want but I don't understand it.....they say you have to go into "media" in the page info and append with "favicon,ico",make a file then send it to the search bar,make a new tab.....blah ,blah,(I got lost at "append"????   

#7 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

This doesn't answer your ?, but I would just right click on the link and rename it

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#8 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:50 AM

OK, Kwik, try this Mozilla Support page.  Easy, three-step instructions.  Read carefully!   

Open the BleepingComputer website as usual, resize the window so you can see part of the Desktop.

Notice where the little, red arrow is pointing to the far left side of the window in the example?

Click and Drag that button to your Desktop.

Now you should have a shortcut icon for BC with the BC logo.  It looks like a little, blue box on my rig.

Don't give up...we will get this solved.  :wink:

Rosie

#9 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:48 AM

Rosie, I was so excited to try as you instructed(MAKES PERFECT SENSE!)And as I carefully resized the window and clicked on  the start menu I just cracked up laughing........every time I click on the logo(little red arrow display)the start menu retracts!!!!!!I'm still laughing,I did it about 7x's,it just struck me so funny(maybe ya hadda be there!)         Okay(lol),I won't give up,Kwik

#10 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:56 AM

Rosie, I was so excited to try as you instructed(MAKES PERFECT SENSE!)And as I carefully resized the window and clicked on  the start menu I just cracked up laughing........every time I click on the logo(little red arrow display)the start menu retracts!!!!!!I'm still laughing,I did it about 7x's,it just struck me so funny(maybe ya hadda be there!)         Okay(lol),I won't give up,Kwik

Kwik, WHY are you clicking on the Start menu?  It has nothing to do with the instructions in my last post.  Now, you have me  confused. lol!

Do you know what it means to click and drag?  When you click, you have to hold down the mouse button and drag the item to a blank place on your Desktop,. not the start menu whatever you're doing. 

I can't think of a way to make it any simpler.  Either you aren't understanding the instructions or I need to let someone else guide you.

Rosie 

#11 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

I'm glad I gave you a chuckle Rosie,and I do appreciate you taking the time to offer your suggestions(Im sure it could be fustrating when dealing with a novice but do know it is not without my appreciation)I see my confusion was with my simple computer illiteracy I confuse "desktop" with what is displayed on my screen........and"yes" one of the few things I do know how to do is "click and drag" so that is not my problem.......Now that I have re-read your instruction I see that that is the very first thing I did and I do have all the shortcuts I want on my "desktop"but the display the standard Mozilla logo on each of the icons and do not automatically change according to the Mozilla support"how to".I do apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused you,again .....thanks for you input.....hagd.....Kwik

#12 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Kwik, I won't give up finding the solution so hang in there. You are probably a lot more frustrated than I am.  If all else fails, I'll download Firefox and work from there.  I've been using Chrome for so long that I hate even thinking about relearning FF.

One tip that I did run across that may work.  Open a website that you want to make a "shortcut to the desktop" for.  Don't click on anything.  Just hold down the Ctrl key + s.  Now take a look at the Desktop to see if a new shortcut icon (favicon) is there.  That doesn't work for me in Chrome but it was suggested at Mozilla Support for FF.

Question?  Are you saving any Bookmarks as you do your usual browsing?  Another suggestion I came across...Open the Bookmarks menu...are there websites listed there that you have saved?  You can click (and hold down the mouse button) on one of the Bookmarks and drag it to the Desktop.  That should create a Shortcut but I'm not certain.

Another question...the icons (favicons) that you have managed to get to your Desktop?  When you click on one, does it take you to the desired website or to Firefox?

Catch you later, Kwik.  

Rosie

#13 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

Thanks alot Rosie, No I'm not fustrated ,I have learned one thing in my little 2mos at the computer-that all things can be accomplished with perserverence and simply getting the right information,,,,,I'm grateful for your interest in helping me find the answer.The "Ctrl key +s" doesn't do the trick,neither does the "bookmarks drag"(lol).And yes,all my desktop shortcuts take me directly to the desired website......hmmmm

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

TulsaRose, I don't want to get in your way, but I just don't understand why newbleeping wants to put links to web-sites on her desktop.

Newbleeping, desktop space is a scarce resource - you can run out of it quite quickly !  I understand why you want to make these icons / shortcuts readily recognisable but I don't understand why you want to put them on the desktop in the first place.

dc3 has referenced the purpose of multiple tabs. This ability, shared by all modern browsers, enables you to have active links open to several web-sites at the same time - eg Google, your e-mail, your work, a music station and so on, but the simplest place for storing the addresses (URLs) of web-sites you visit regularly is in the 'Bookmarks' folder.

This is extremely easy to do, and I do it for every web-site I expect to re-visit on any frequency like once every two or three months. To take Amazon as an example :

Once you have arrived at Amazon's home page the first time - and how you got there doesn't matter, you may have typed 'Amazon.com' into the address bar or googled Amazon or come by a link from another page - click on 'Bookmarks at the top left hand of the screen, then click on 'Bookmark this page', then, in the little pop-up menu that appears, click 'Done'. That's it.

The next time you want to go to Amazon - open Firefox, click on 'Bookmarks', click on Amazon' in the list that appears - you're there.

By all means, put a link to Firefox on your desktop - that's the 'One ring to rule them all' - but I suggest you try using 'Bookmarks'.

Chris Cosgrove

#15 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

Chris, I agree 100% about relying on Bookmarks instead of Desktop shortcuts for my personal use.  I was trying to supply Kwik with the means of achieving what she wanted to do.  She is a relatively new pc user and learning as she goes.  It almost fries my brain to think of trying to learn Windows OS, email, browsers, etc. plus all the terminology that may as well be Greek in the beginning. acckkk! 

I think most power users recommend Firefox but I, personally, find it extremely difficult after using IE for years (until switching over to Chrome recently, which is easy-peasy.)  

Thanks, Chris, for the excellent directions.  I can only hope Kwik will take your advice.

Rosie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users