Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3.5 Inch HDDs for new machine.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

I am in the process of building a new machine using somewhat dated hardware. It will have an Intel 3.2 GHz Quadcore processor, 4 Gig of G-Skill DDR3 RAM, a Power Color HD 5770 Radeon Video Card, two internal HDDs, and one HDD in a "Hot Swap Tray" with two additional identical HDDs in "Hot Swap Trays". What I am wondering is what would be the best type of HDDs to buy, in the 250 GB to 320 GB range ?

Edited by JHMcG, 03 August 2013 - 08:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

Mostly, I've bought WD drives over the last several years. Caviar Blue drives would be a good choice. 

Edited by slgrieb, 03 August 2013 - 08:48 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#3 JHMcG

JHMcG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

Believe it or not, I already bought ten NEW 320 GB WD Caviar Blues and tested 8 of them with TESTHDD. Are you ready ? 7 of the 8 had severe sector damage scattered all over them, and read speeds as low as 75,000 at start as compared to the one good one with a read speed of 145,000 at start. I agree that WD is a good choice, but NOT caviar Blues.

Edited by JHMcG, 04 August 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

I have no problems with Caviar Blues.  They are my go to drive for non performance systems.  Dozen+ sold, 2.5 and 3.5, and no returns yet (knock on wood).

I remember many years ago, when I first started in the computer trade, I bought a brown box OEM 10 pack of WD 2.1gig.  First clue, 2 would not format  Over the next month or so 5 of the remaining 8 died, and I had a few pissed of people to deal with.  I swore off WD for years after that, but time heals all wounds.  I eventually weakened and got a pair of WD JB drives and was impressed.  Those were my go to drives for a long time.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Moon)Dawg

Moon)Dawg

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Personally I use only Western Digital Enterprise Drives and change them every four years. Never had a bad one nor one fail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users