Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't load

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 saturniid

saturniid

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

I am am unable to boot to windows

On a normal start up windows goes through the loading files screen(black with the white bar at the bottom of the screen)...then the windows swirl with loading windows ...The screen changes to the Asus screen and then opens a window with what looks to be a command prompt(flashing white bar). The title bar reads X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe. On this window the system hangs. The mouse is working.

F8 gets me to the safe mode load screen but safe mode loads a screen where many files seem to be loading but it hangs a little on /windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys but eventually starts loading the safe mode screen with "safe mode" in each corner and "microsoft® Windows® (Build 7600) at the top center but the rest of the screen black. If I wait a few minutes I get the same window as above with the X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe at the top.

I have tried just about every tool available to me during boot up and nothing seems to allow me to fix anything.

This is an Asus which means I have no windows CD but there is supposed to be a recovery partition on the HD.

I would prefer recovering Windows and use of my computer but perhaps a complete reinstall might be an option. I have a copy of Windows 8 but because Windows 7 must load before a Windows 8 can be installed.

Please give me some path to a working computer. If repair of the current windows is possible please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

Microsoft recommends you do a clean boot in situations like this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/why-is-safe-mode-will-only-run-to/c431b255-98da-4c76-83f4-3f104eebb8e0

Instructions on how to do a clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If that doesn't clarify things, you may eventually need to repair your OS. You'll need to hit the F8 key or the Delete key to go to your recovery options. From there, you'll choose the repair option.

#3 saturniid

saturniid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

Update...After my initial post here on the forum I left the problem computer alone for a while having other things to do. When I returned to it about 40 minutes later it had actually given me a restore option screen. At this point I do not think the boot processes had frozen but instead they were just running extremely slow. Perhaps that was due to something malicious and which had been designed to give the impression of a frozen boot sequence..

At this point I have restored the computer...it seems fine and I am doing all the updates from windows and other that seem appropriate.

Thanks you for your help..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users