Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7: BOOTMGR is compressed - Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HDScooterBoy

HDScooterBoy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hello all,

All has been going fine with my computer for some time, and I came home from a business trip recently to see that AVG Virus Software has been updated, and I need to restart to install the changes.  I've gotten to the DOS prompt of "BOOTMGR is compressed - Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" ever since, and can't go any further.  I don't have a rescue disc, and I'm sure the OS is not a legal copy (computer guy from my old employer in Michigan installed it on a new hard drive last summer, when the boot sector pooped out).

Any ideas?  I'm stuck at a DOS prompt, with no idea where to go from here.

Thank you in advance,

Tom

Edited by HDScooterBoy, 03 August 2013 - 04:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

Is there a recovery partition on the computer? Unfortunately, without a recovery disk or partition, your options are limited and a bit complicated -- see Method 2 in the link below.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/error-bootmgr-is-compressed-press-ctrlaltdel-to/3bda6ad3-0918-4caa-ac24-988b0def5363

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

<<...and I'm sure the OS is not a legal copy (computer guy from my old employer in Michigan installed it on a new hard drive last summer, when the boot sector pooped out).>>

If the O/S is not a legal copy...that contravenes the forum rules and we will not be able to assist you with problems for an illegal install.

You can check...go to Windows Update, install Windows Genuine Advantage list in updates (probably in important updates list). It will inform you whether Windows is genuine or not.

Another suggested way...clck This Link .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 August 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#4 HDScooterBoy

HDScooterBoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

That's good to know actually - this is the 2nd time I've had a hobbiest repair person look at my computer, only to return it saying 'oh, and I put the latest Windows on there too'.  I guess I'm old fashioned - I want my copy of Windows I bought in my filing cabinet - for times like this.  Since I'm stuck at an error code, I can't even get on to tell if it's a legal install.  Sounds like I need to ship this back to Joe Dining Room Table and have him fix it - then go buy my own OS.  Sorry to sound peeved - I somehow knew their unsolicited gracious gesture would byte me in the butt sooner or later.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

I figured that was the case -- you not being able to confirm it was a legal install or not because you couldn't even get it to boot.

I'd recommend having Joe save any key files you need to a flash drive and/or external drive, and then just load the version of Windows you have in your filing cabinet yourself. At least then you'll know for sure it's legit.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Well...no one is doing you a favor...when they install an illegal version, since you may not be able to use Windows Update...or someone's license will be reflected by MS as illegally duplicated...or worse, they install a version which may contain malware.

Joe Dining Room isn't the one with anything to lose...the person on whose system the install is made...has nothing to gain.

Louis

#7 HDScooterBoy

HDScooterBoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

That does make me want to ask - you mentioned that you can't use Windows Update?  I was able to perform regularly scheduled updates - would that say mine was legal?  Now I'm curious - perhaps I was legit?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

Not necessarily, IMO.

The steps I previously suggested would be considered conclusive, IMO.

At some point in time...Microsoft allowed illegal versions of Windows to access Windows Updates.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-pirate-bootleg-security-patches,7666.html

From http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/genuine/faq :

"If my computer is running non-genuine Windows can it still receive critical security updates?

Yes. Regardless of genuine status, you'll still be able to get critical security updates. However, if your copy of Windows isn't genuine, you won't be able to install many updates that are exclusively for genuine Windows customers, including Microsoft Security Essentials. Microsoft strongly recommends that you get genuine Microsoft software immediately to help ensure a safer computing experience."

#9 HDScooterBoy

HDScooterBoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

So can I ask - W7 is cheap - if I buy the same version as what is on my computer now, would I be able to boot to the cd and do a repair using my new legit key?  This might be an easy problem to fix, if that's the case...

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:37 PM

It appears that if you have a legit copy of Windows 7, you can repair the illegal install then enter the valid, legal product key and all should be good -- provided the illegal version wasn't installed using an activation hack.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/what-is-the-proper-way-to-install-a-retail-version/650d9e16-2651-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

However, as hamluis pointed out, illegal versions do sometimes come loaded with malware or other problems. Safest route is probably to copy any vital files and do a clean install with a legal copy.

#11 HDScooterBoy

HDScooterBoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

So perhaps it's safest to slave the drive, scavenge any files I want to save, and do a clean install with a legal copy.  That's not horrible - sounds like a plan.

Thanks guys - you've been a great help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users