Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen with white cursor safe mode not an option

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Th1ng

Th1ng

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Hello,

My Father was watching a video and since then the only thing on his laptop is a black screen with a white cursor. Pressing control alt delete brings you to the usual screen where you have options to start task manager, restart/shut down the computer. Starting the task manager simply brings you back to the black screen with the white cursor. Selecting to restart or shut down the computer will briefly show the desktop while it's either shutting down or restarting. Which leads me to believe that the black screen is something running, possibly related to the video that he was watching, that won't release 'focus' for lack of a better word.

I've tried starting the laptop in safe mode and it successfully starts in safe mode with or without networking, but immediately shuts itself down. I haven't tried safe mode with command prompt.

Help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

A white blinking cursor on a black screen usually means the computer is looking for an operating system to boot from, and can't find one. You say your father was watching a video on the computer. Was it a DVD? Many times, computers are set to boot from the CD/DVD player first, and if a movie or music disc is left in the CD/DVD tray, the computer will try to boot from it. And of course, it can't. Check there first.

If that's not the case, and he was streaming a video over the Internet, you will have to run some diagnostics on your hard drive to determine what the problem is. It could be a bad cable connecting the hard drive to the mother board, it could be corrupt/damaged system or boot files, or the hard drive may just be dead. What kind of hard drive is it? What make/model of computer? What operating system?

#3 Th1ng

Th1ng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Update:

I ran system restore and there was an update from microsoft dated 8/2/13, I restored his laptop to that date and after it rebooted it seems to be working as it should. So at this time it looks like everything is back to normal. 

Thanks for responding.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Good deal. Glad that worked. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users